• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

Bunnies with a Bow

gsambray

just wondering some good tips on how i can practice for rabbit hunting with my bow. I can hit a good grouping on a target bag upto 50yrds. what else can i do to practice for those wascaly wabbits?

Thefishleclair

just wondering some good tips on how i can practice for rabbit hunting with my bow. I can hit a good grouping on a target bag upto 50yrds. what else can i do to practice for those wascaly wabbits?

Try your shooting while crouched or kneeling....move some targets out into the scrub brush and shoot at them. use the tips you will use to hunt the rabbits, i find that the tips (judo,snaro or the washer ones) all fly differnt then the field tips. Dont use your Target bag with these blunt tips!! I use Timmies coffee cups or old stuffed toys to practise with....Been wanting to get out and Hammer some rabbits with bow for the last 3 weeks..Going to have to wait till the snow goes too!! Loose allot of arrows when hunting them in snow.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Craigh

Add judging distance to your practice sessions. I practice distance for my deer hunts and I am surprisingly consistently off by 5 yards in my "guesses". I think knowing if that rabbit is at 30 or 36 yards will be as big a deal to your success as your ability to pattern at a given range.

Use the coffee cup example, but place them randomly from 10 yards to your max distance. Don't pace them off until you go to retrieve your arrows. Redistribute the cups differently on your way back to the bow.

What a rush it would be to actually connect on one of your hopefully many chances afield. Have you ever seen Tred Barta shooting pheasants in flight with his bow? I can't even imagine thinking I would even be good enough to try that.

gsambray

what draw weight do you normally use for rabbits anyways? mine is set at 70lbs and thats what i shoot with while hunting deer and bear with it. it is a bit overkill but with bears i like the little extra umpfff behind that arrow. should i turn it down for rabbits?

Guest Craigh

I run just over 60 lbs for deer. If you are good with your bow at 70, I wouldn't change it. That extra draw will create a flatter shooting trajectory and minimize the point of impact difference downrange (making your estimate of distance a little less key).

Let us know how it goes for you.

Thefishleclair

Like Craigh said. Leave yer bow at yer present poundage.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB