• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishingfinn

Registering a trailer from the US

fishingfinn

I just boat a boat and trailer from Minnesota, and getting it across the boarder was the easy part. I got all my RIV forms and inspections done on the trailer and I went to MTO to register and get plates, but they want a letter from the State of Minnesota stating that there is no title on the trailer (doesn't need to be titled since it is under 4000lb GVWR)

Anybody run into this? Everything has been smooth sailing up until this point. I contacted DMV Minnesota and haven't heard anything. Any help is appreciated

Pumpkinhead

I just boat a boat and trailer from Minnesota, and getting it across the boarder was the easy part. I got all my RIV forms and inspections done on the trailer and I went to MTO to register and get plates, but they want a letter from the State of Minnesota stating that there is no title on the trailer (doesn't need to be titled since it is under 4000lb GVWR)

Anybody run into this? Everything has been smooth sailing up until this point. I contacted DMV Minnesota and haven't heard anything. Any help is appreciated

I had the same problem with a snowmachine trailer I bought in Michigan this past year. The trailer was never registered when it was originally purchased so there was no paper title.All I received was a bill of sale from the owner . The MTO told me they could not put it in my name without a proper title from the owner in Michigan and that I would have to contact the manufacturer or the DMV in Michigan. Getting someone off the street to give me a kidney would have been easier.All I did was rip all the decals off the thing and registered it as a homebuilt trailer.RIV will not tell what to do with a trailer once it is here in Canada so who says you can`t dismantle a trailer bought in the states, rebuild it and register it as one that you built.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Yup just scrub of decals and vin and get plates for a homemade trailer. saves tons o time.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

fishingfinn

It turned out to be no problem, DMV in Minnesota faxed and mailed me a letter stating that there is no title on the trailer. They were very helpful and prompt...so no need to go scraping stickers and VIN numbers.