• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hurketthunter

Browning x-bolt

Hurketthunter

Hey just curious how many of you guys are shooting the new browning x-bolts and what you think of them. The wife is getting one in 30-06 and I'm thinking of adding one to my collection as well. So what do you like, what do you dislike and how do you find them for accuracy?

Hurketthunter

James01

Hey just curious how many of you guys are shooting the new browning x-bolts and what you think of them. The wife is getting one in 30-06 and I'm thinking of adding one to my collection as well. So what do you like, what do you dislike and how do you find them for accuracy?

Hurketthunter

I have yet to shoot an X-Bolt, I did however own an A-Bolt in .300WM which I was quite fond of. It was accurate - more so than I am at least, and a pleasure to shoot. I assume all the pluses of the A-Bolt will carry over to the X-Bolt. As I mentioned in another forum, my brother is bringing his new X-Bolt with him when he visits in a few weeks; I intend on shooting it then (I can say a little more then). What I can tell you now is that I have long liked the X-Bolt because of the compact size (at least in the WSM's), and the fact that it has a rotary feeding magazine rather than the hinged floor plate of the A-Bolt. At least for me this last point is a big plus in the X-Bolt's favor (at least, over the A-Bolt). I like Brownings, and I am considering getting an X-Bolt in .325WSM at some point this summer. The hinged metal floor plate of the A-Bolt always made me a little nervous... what I was told by a gunsmith is that they can be hard to replace, and very difficult to fix should they break (perhaps this is what made me nervous). The magazine of the X-bolt is a rotary type of feed - it is supposed to provide a hassle free feed, and made of a composite material - so it will not get dented out of shape like a metal magazine can should it be dropped. I also like the convenience of a magazine.

As may be a tad obvious, I am quite a fan of the X-Bolt.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Hurketthunter

My wife is also a big fan of browning, she currently has an A-bolt in .308 that she has shot multiple moose and deer with. The gun has always been very accurate. However when the x-bolt came out she just "had" to have a new gun lol. I like the detachable magazine as well and if the accuracy is as good or better than the A-bolt I just might "need" a new gun for the collection myself. Would love to hear what you think of your brothers X-bolt once you've shot it.

Hurketthunter

James01

My wife is also a big fan of browning, she currently has an A-bolt in .308 that she has shot multiple moose and deer with. The gun has always been very accurate. However when the x-bolt came out she just "had" to have a new gun lol. I like the detachable magazine as well and if the accuracy is as good or better than the A-bolt I just might "need" a new gun for the collection myself. Would love to hear what you think of your brothers X-bolt once you've shot it.

Hurketthunter

HH

I will be sure to let you know my impressions and feelings once I have put a few rounds down the barrel.

Cheers, J.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

jonnyriabov

I have both an Xbolt 300 win mag and an Abolt 7mm mag, the xbolt is a very attractive light rifle, I really like the composite clips, matt finish on the barrel, contour of the stock, 4 bolt scope rings, however the older Abolt has a much smoother action, and better accuracy when shot from the lead sled.

I really like both rifles but would part with the xbolt before the abolt.

Hurketthunter

Well the wife ended up with the x-bolt stainless stalker in .270 wsm and I like the gun. Sighting in only took 5 rounds and thats from bore sighted to hitting dead on at 100yds. I did find that the barrel heats up quickly which can spread your groups out. However shooting with a cold barrel it hits exactly where it should. The wife is happy so thats half the battle anyway. Now I just need to convince her to let me borrow it lol.

Hurketthunter

James01

Well the wife ended up with the x-bolt stainless stalker in .270 wsm and I like the gun. Sighting in only took 5 rounds and thats from bore sighted to hitting dead on at 100yds. I did find that the barrel heats up quickly which can spread your groups out. However shooting with a cold barrel it hits exactly where it should. The wife is happy so thats half the battle anyway. Now I just need to convince her to let me borrow it lol.

Hurketthunter

Well, its taken me a while but I do have something to report about my brother's X-Bolt in .325wsm. He wrote to me and reported the following:

This is a 8x6 inch steel plate with a 3 inch bull. That 325 is one hell of a flat shooting rifle. You can almost cover both these holes with a toonie. This was at 300 meters, aimed centre of bull, drop 1/2 inch. Wow!!!

Yes, the cartridge has a lot to do with it, but I believe the Browning does too. I cannot wait to get myself one... and after seeing this, I am even more sold on the .325wsm. Granted, he is a better shot than me - but he needs to be as he hunts in the prairie and foothill regions of Alberta (and I still out fish him). I have attached the picture he sent.

- Henry David Thoreau