• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayfishin

Tiller Model Boats

Jayfishin

Well been thinking about switching back to a tiller model boat. When I switched over to a console a few years ago it took some time getting used to fishing out of this layout. I tend to run bottom bouncers alot in search of fish and have utilized my front mount Minn Kota with co-pilot control. But I like the idea of operatiing from the stern of the boat like in my last unit. The new motors with idle control allow running at low rpm and troll down under 2 mph instead of having to use the electric.

I like the looks and the layout of the Lund ProGuide 1725 paired with either a 60 to 75 Yamaha or Merc 4stroke with idle control options. ( I currently run a Honda,which has been great to me, but I like the tiller options of these other motors)

I looked at the tiller Crestliner Fishhawk 1600 at Smiths but the rear seat looks to far from the stern. The overall layout is nice though.

So I am looking for feedback on people's views on tillers brands and models overall, as well as thoughts on tiller vs console for fishing?

Jay

The wife is gonna shake her head if I mention this to her.:blink:

DJL66

I had a Lund Pro Angler (same as Mr. Pike)16' tiller with a 60 Merc 4 stroke that I loved. I sold that boat to get a Crestliner with a full windshield mainly for the family and also for fishing on Superior where we have a camp. The full canopy came in handy this past saturday at the AYA. The Pro Angler was a wide and very well laid out boat with lots of room. It was rated for a 75 which would have been a better choice instead of the 60 as it was somewhat sluggish out of the hole. I believe I was running a 15 pitch prop and could have dropped down a size but never had a chance to play around with it. If I had lots of money I would have kept it as well cause I do like fishing out of a tiller and back trolling spinners. I found I did have to change the way I fish with a wheel but on cold wet days I'm glad to have the windshield and canopy.

PRO V

I have always run a tiller, right now i have a 18' with a 90 Merc, i like alot of room in my boat for camping gear, quads, kids, etc B) The motor is a 98 and the only downfall is the shifter is not on the handle. My friend runs 60 hp four stroke Yamahas on his 18' guide boats , 40's on the 17' customers boats. (Lund Outfitters, nice floor plan) I ran a 60 for the summer a great motor everything was at your fingertips, a little slugish out of the hole but nothing a prop can't fix. over all a great set up. I'm hoping to upgrade next year it's a toss up between Merc, Yamy. DJL66 makes a good point about bad weather, windshields, running down the lake in late fall with the rain ricocheting off my forhead seems to hurt more with age, but i'll stick with the tiller.

Mike

Jayfishin

Yes I have thought about the weather issue too. I currently have a side console LUND MR Pike with no bimini top, During the AYA, the kids and I were a definitely a bit envious of the boats with a top. I can tough out the weather but when the family comes out a split wiinshield model would be nice. And I do like to chase salmon, lakers, specks around on superior and nipigon so having some form of protection would be nice too. When you are trying to have a boat that does everything (family fishing, tourny fishing, multi species angling on small to big water, and then through in some water sports for the kids) it can be hard to chose for sure.

Maybe a nice 17.5 ft sport fishing model with split windshield with a 115 four stroke geared up with a good bow mount and possible transom mount electric is the best option.

I usually do some periodic window shopping on Walleye Central to see what's out there for setups.

Jay

Guest Jamie

I love tiller boats. You do suffer in the speed department but just make sure to get the highest rated outboard it is rated for. I fish alot and that is why I prefer tillers, the room and boat control are second to none. I fish so much that things eventually break, batteries fail or it is simply to rough and trolling motors come right out of the water and you have no control. With a tiller no problem just simply back troll and you can fish in almost any weather condition. I have a 17' MirroCraft Aggressor with 75hp Evinrude E-TEC.

AB

I have a Crestliner Fishhawk 1600 with a 60 hp E-tec. I've been using it for the last three years.

I love the boat, it extremely stable and handles rough water well (6 footers on Superior is my definition of rough).

I understand your concern about the seat placement. My E-tec tiller arm is longer then a Merc's, the seat had to be moved forward to allow full range of motion.

Here is the easy fix. Lower the motor and sit down in the rear chair. Check the swing of the motor as you are sitting there. If you don't feel comfortable - get the seat re-positioned by the vendor before you take possesion. Make it a condition of the sale.If they have to recover the floor, that's their problem.

Whether I'm jigging or bottom bouncing, I'm in the elevated front seat close to the trolling motor - the tiller isn't even being used. I ususally lift it out of the water to reduce drag and prolong the battery life. (I don't have any proof that it does, but reduced drag makes sense). I find I have better boat control up front then in the rear. No matter how good the rpm control is on your tiller model, an electric trolling motor can't be beat if you want to place 2nd in a race with a snail.

Start preping your wife now, leave brochurs lying around, tie up the computer looking at different manufacterers websites, print out spec sheets for different models and put them up on the fridge. Drive her up the wall until she screams "just buy the damn boat already"

This could take several months, but she is using the same tactics. When was the last time she made a comment about changing something in your home, or left a flyer open on the page with that new dining room set she's been pining for???

good luck!

iceman

canadianyanke

Ill never buy a console personally. I do alot of river fishing for brookies, rainbows and salmon and it's nearly impossible to control a boat and cast at the same time. Your so much more effective with a tiller and have way more control. If your a bass fisherman and only use your big motor when your running across the lake then id go with a console.

Jayfishin

You guys are convincing me to go back to tiller! I appreciate the input.

Maybe after the SSS and a family trip of to Geraldton with the Lund I may have to through a sale sign on it.

Or maybe wait till next spring....

Thx

Jay

Davis Viehbeck

Jay-

Check out the Crestliner Pro Tiller. These are beautiful tiller rigs. My link

-DV

PRO V

That is a nice ride, it almost make me want to trade in my Lund.....................................almost ;)

Mike

Castnblast

I'm a tiller guy too. I fish a 17" Explorer with a 50 Merc and for me Pros far outweigh Cons.

Things I like with a big tiller rig:

- like Yank said, it's the ONLY way to fish the nipigon

- tons of room to load in tents, gear and dogs

- back troll boat control

- fishing rough water

- above and beyond all - the open layout

Things I don't like about the tiller:

- getting wet travelling in rough water - (Cabelas guide suit pretty much takes care of that, but you still get whipped in the face)

- looking over the first mates shoulder sitting in the bow while travelling (just gotta shout out a captains order to have a seat on the platform)

My #1 pc of advice - don't under power the boat

I am slightly underpowered with 50hp. With 2 or 3 guys and day gear, it's great. I can run 28 and get on top of the waves when she starts to blow.

With a full family, dogs and camping gear - it's a slow go when the wind starts kicks up and you are travelling with a full load to or from a beach or island. Sometimes 2 trips are better than one.

I'm still looking for a 75hp 4strk with an arm.

My #2 pc of advice - match it with a galvanized roller. period.

just my 2 cents.

Castnblast

oh ya, if I could buy a new boat tomorrow, I'd be so all over a 1725 ProGuide with a 75 Yamaha.

Love the Alumacraft too...

arvey

i have a 15' alumacraft with a 40 hp.it also has trim and tilt. i know some of the new motors come with the trim right in the arm mine does'nt so what i did was get one of those trim buttons that goes on the steering and i wired it in.so i can sit right in my seat and trim the motor without having to reach for the dash or anything like that. this works great in rough water.

just a suggestion.

arvey

PRO V

Another option is Hot Trim (foot trim control) i have one in my boat it works slick.

Mike

Guest Munshaw

Depending on if you want wide gunnels or not, check out the alumacraft navigator 175 tiller. I ran a 165 for a few years, and it fishes awesome. You can walk on the decking all the way around the boat, perfect for the nipigon when it's spinning downriver while fighting a fish. Up to the 175 though to get into the bigger HP motors. 60 was okay, bit couldn't pull skiers, and was slow to plane with more than three people. You'll love the tiller ride, very smooth. Can't beat the fishability. My wife wasn't a fan, thus I sold it in the interest of marriage... Great boat, and it generated a lot of interest. Resale up here is great for a.boat like that. A friend bought it, so I can still fish from it!