• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
brookiebuster

Motor conversions

brookiebuster

Is it possible to convert a 6hp merc 2 stroke,into a 9.9hp by changeing the carbs? If so where can I geter' done at??

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

naden

I am not that familiar with the newer mercs but I just had a quick look at a parts diagram for the 6/8/9.9/15. The cylinder block numbers are different for each hp engine and so are the carbs. The 6 and 8 hp have a common piston part number and so do the 9.9 and 15 hp. Without knowing what the exact difference is between these parts I would guess that it is not likely you could upgrade the 6 hp to the 9.9 but you might be able to convert a 6 hp to a 8 hp. Some of the bearings in the engine also appear to be different between models. Typically the exhaust housings are different as well but the newer mercs appear to have the same exhaust on the 6/8/9.9 and a different exhaust on a 15 hp. If I were you I would find a complete parts diagram for your 6 hp motor, print it off and compare it to the parts diagram for the larger hp motors. Once you know what parts are different the dealer might be able to tell you the difference between the different parts, or they may be able to tell you right away if this conversion is possible. A good website for parts diagrams is www.crowleymarine.com

Hope that helps

brookiebuster

Thanks!Its a newer motor(06?).The 6hp dose not plane out properly with my 12'er so I was thinking a little more hp would plane it.I will check out that website.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent