• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest fishcanoegf

need help picking an electric trolling motor for my boyfriend for his birthday...any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Guest fishcanoegf

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up. I would like to get him an electric trolling motor for his canoe.

So far, I've determined I need a transom mount. I've been looking at the Minn Kota Endura and Traxxis.

A few questions:

He is thinking bigger is better - I know that mostly true...lol....but does that also matter for a canoe?

Would there be a big difference between a 45lb and 55lb thrust?

Also, is variable speed better than speed coil thrust?

I don't even know that I'm using the terms correctly but I do want to get the right one and neither of us are astutely literate in trolling motor speak.

I tried reviewing previous threads but didn't seem to find the answers. Although I did find info on the battery - got that one covered.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Some Old Guy

Hi,

Bigger is usually better. For a single 12 volt marine battery, a 55 lb thrust is the maximum thrust you can get. After that it's 24 volt hook ups. For a canoe you would have to be careful of sudden starts with a 55 lb thrust especially if you are going to turn. On a canoe this is quite a bit of power. Variable speed is what i would use as you can ease into higher speeds. Also with a larger electric it won't work as hard and you'll maintain longer battery usage for the day.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest fishcanoegf

Roger,

Thanks so much! That was very helpful. That helped me confirm my choice. I really appreciate your input.

I hope he will be a very happy guy after he figures out that I actually did the research and get him the right one.

Have a great day!

Jennifer

gone fishin'

I have a canoe with a trolling motor. The other thing to consider is the shaft length. Most 45+ motors will have a shaft which may be on the long side for a canoe. You really don't need that much power for a canoe. I have a 55lb MinnKota on my Princecraft 16.5ft motor boat and it works great for a boat weighing over 1000 pounds. A canoe weighing around 80 pounds doesn't need that much power. I manage very well with a Minn Kota 30/30- it has the shortest shaft length of 30 inches, and with 30lb, it has plenty of power. Plus one battery lasts all day and more.

Hope this helps.

Guest Funmonkey

A great big thank you to all who responded, I am extremely happy with my 50lb thrust Minn-Kota electric motor. While it has a fair bit of power for my canoe it is not too powerful, it moves my canoe just fine with two adults, a dog and gear, I cannot wait until next year when I can really get out and explore. Boy my girlfriend spoils me!!!!!!

Michael