• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

.Hunter, MNR worker attacked by bears

Buck 120

Carl Clutchey - Chronicle Journal

Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 08:00

Two maulings by black bears in just over a week — the most recent one involving a provincial wildlife technician — is a grim reminder of the potential danger of venturing into Northwestern Ontario’s back country.

A 24-year-old woman working for the Ministry of Natural Resources was attacked Tuesday at Wabikon Lake near Armstrong just before noon.

When the 250-pound bear appeared, it attacked the woman until a male co-worker was able to fight it off, police said Wednesday.

The woman, who suffered undisclosed injuries, was airlifted to Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, MNR spokeswoman Kathryn Lyzun said.

Her condition was unavailable Wednesday. Lyzun said that for privacy reasons, no other information about the victim was being released.

She said conservation officers have set traps for the bear but as of Wednesday, it hadn’t been caught.

It wasn’t clear if the injured woman and her co-worker were equipped with bear spray. The ministry makes it available but doesn’t require workers to carry it.

Tuesday’s attack follows a mauling about a week ago involving a moose hunter north of Kenora.

The hunter, who was armed with a bow, was able to kill the bear, but he had to go to hospital for treatment.

The ministry maintains that black bear attacks are rare.

But in 2008, after a non-fatal but prolonged attack by a large male bear on a veteran Thunder Bay MNR biologist north of Armstrong, regulations were changed so that any field worker who wants to be equipped with bear spray can be.

The ministry didn’t publicize the 2008 attack, saying it didn’t occur in an area frequented by campers and hikers.

In 2005, a southern Ontario female physician was mauled to death by a black bear who came upon her camp site in the Missanabie wilderness park near Chapel.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Smack Um

There was also a Black Bear attack on a 57 year old woman from Michigan on August 5 this summer in Pukaskwa National Park near Wawa.

Black Bear attacks on humans are becoming more common I think that the end of the spring bear hunt has helped to both swell their numbers,lower Moose calf numbers and lessen there fear of humans.

I don't ever remember hearing about Black Bear attacks on humans when I was growing up and the same goes for everyone else that I talk to :huh: .

Pat

Guest JeffB

and when you're out bird hunting, you cant even keep a couple of slugs in your pocket.

Most likely a blast of bird shot safely discharged (not at the animal) should scare any bold bears away, but what about those stubborn bears that are becoming much more aggressive?

Of course bear spray will help, but the cannisters are just too big to be dragging around all the time.

All these stupid laws we have just endanger those of us in the bush. What a shame.

Guest fancy pants

As long as you have a license for big game you can carry slugs while bird hunting. Its not that expensive to purchase a bear tag if you are that concerned for your safety.

Guest Smack Um

Here is a quote from the book (Bear Attacks) by James Shelton of Hagensbough B.C. a good source of information on the subject.

Bears have personalities just like humans do.

That means some bears are not safe to be around just like some humans.

Both may have to suffer the same fate....."That is the Reality".

Pat

Guest JeffB

As long as you have a license for big game you can carry slugs while bird hunting. Its not that expensive to purchase a bear tag if you are that concerned for your safety.

So its OK to take reasonable precautions (such as having a slug as the last shell in the mag) to defend myself as long as I pay $44 for a tag I wouldnt use?

Im sorry but I believe that mentality is what causes us to lose our rights and freedoms a little bit more every day.

Guest Smack Um

If you have a smooth bore 12 gauge shot gun firing a slug is no problem if you have a full choke 12 gauge shot gun and you fire a slug through it you could have a problem.

Someone with proper gun knowledge care to elaborate here I also heard that buck shot is not all that effective.

I had a neighbour across the lake from us that fell on top of a bear while gathering fire wood in winter he survived the attack killing the bear with a single axe blow to the head.

He has long since past away but I still carry a long handled axe along with a shot gun or bear banger when I am in the bush better to be prepared for trouble than not. :mellow:

Pat

Guest lacman

Carl Clutchey - Chronicle Journal

Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 08:00

Two maulings by black bears in just over a week — the most recent one involving a provincial wildlife technician — is a grim reminder of the potential danger of venturing into Northwestern Ontario’s back country.

A 24-year-old woman working for the Ministry of Natural Resources was attacked Tuesday at Wabikon Lake near Armstrong just before noon.

When the 250-pound bear appeared, it attacked the woman until a male co-worker was able to fight it off, police said Wednesday.

The woman, who suffered undisclosed injuries, was airlifted to Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, MNR spokeswoman Kathryn Lyzun said.

Her condition was unavailable Wednesday. Lyzun said that for privacy reasons, no other information about the victim was being released.

She said conservation officers have set traps for the bear but as of Wednesday, it hadn’t been caught.

It wasn’t clear if the injured woman and her co-worker were equipped with bear spray. The ministry makes it available but doesn’t require workers to carry it.

Tuesday’s attack follows a mauling about a week ago involving a moose hunter north of Kenora.

The hunter, who was armed with a bow, was able to kill the bear, but he had to go to hospital for treatment.

The ministry maintains that black bear attacks are rare.

But in 2008, after a non-fatal but prolonged attack by a large male bear on a veteran Thunder Bay MNR biologist north of Armstrong, regulations were changed so that any field worker who wants to be equipped with bear spray can be.

The ministry didn’t publicize the 2008 attack, saying it didn’t occur in an area frequented by campers and hikers.

In 2005, a southern Ontario female physician was mauled to death by a black bear who came upon her camp site in the Missanabie wilderness park near Chapel.

I hears this person lost their leg as a result of this accident. Anyone else hear this? Also heard they were injured quite badly.

Also heard the bears ears were back, signalling a predatory mode which means the bear was hunting for food.

Maybe it's a bit much, but should people working in the bush with wild animals be carrying side arms?

Guest fancy pants

So its OK to take reasonable precautions (such as having a slug as the last shell in the mag) to defend myself as long as I pay $44 for a tag I wouldnt use?

Im sorry but I believe that mentality is what causes us to lose our rights and freedoms a little bit more every day.

you aren't losing any rights. You have no right to bare arms in Canada. That's the states. bearing arms is a privilege here, and to enjoy the privilege of carrying a slug with you is $44. If cost is the main concern then I heard metro or better yet safeway have sales on poultry now and then. Actually even at regular price its usually cheaper than hunting. You will be as safe and frugal as a bug can be.

Guest JeffB

You seem to have confused the right to bear arms, with the right to defend your life.

They are quite different. Shame someone like you doesnt know better.

Guest Smack Um

I heard it could be a pretty dangerous stunt shooting a slug out of a full choke shot gun at D&R Sporting Goods and I think these people know there stuff and we don't want to see people out there needlessly hurt. :(

Pat

Guest JeffB

there are slugs for smooth bore, and slugs for rifled bores.

I have both types of barrels. Although, thats not neccessary. You can fire a regular slug through a full choke. Its not a problem.

edit: perhaps youre talking about using a 3" in a 2 3/4" chamber? The forcing cone will be a problem.

Guest fancy pants

It just needs to be a plain Jane rifled lead slug. I wouldnt start blasting them off on a regular basis. But you can do it.....also Jeff....what you can do to protect yourself and stay legal is to take one of your shells that you use for birds and perforate the plastic shell casing all the way around near the bottom of the wad. When you fire it the whole unit will come out like a slug......again not something to do all the time, but it could save your life if you need a slug.