• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

Urban Deer Management

Guest TBaySmitty

As I was going hunting on Saturday I got a call from home to tell me there was a buck and doe in my backyard. Damn things!!!

Travis Schallock

I was reading the newspaper yesterday, and thought it said hunting would be allowed, west of the thunder bay expressway, and south of the Kam river. I don't know the area that well, but wouldn't that be an extremely small portion of the city limits??? Maybe it was a misprint or I read it wrong. I was expecting something like anything west of the expressway.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

brookiebuster

Thats what I read too.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest fancy pants

To stay south of the kam and west of the expressway but within city limits you are in tiny yet well populated area. I also heard you must be on private property greater than two acres with written permission from all neighbors bordering the property.

Travis Schallock

Just did some looking, it is a triangle of land aprox 4km by 4km by 4km. Not exactly huge by any means. But by looks of Google earth there is a nice piece of land in the middle that looks good to hunt. Still not quite what I was expecting. If I lived in Thunder Bay I would be complaining to my councilor.

Travis Schallock

naden

I took it to mean areas south of the kam as well as west of the expressway. This would be a large area that would include west arthur, oliver rd, john st road, dawson road etc.......that was how I read it anyways. There should also be a limit on the north end of town such as trow bridge road or something similar.

Guest BLR-WSM

Well I live South of the Kam and own 6 acres, a cross bow and a passion for hunting so I will gladly help out our community :)

Some of the bucks that come by:

P1020116.jpg

P1020117.jpg

Backyardbuck.jpg

P1010551.jpg

Guest Smack Um

Well I live South of the Kam and own 6 acres, a cross bow and a passion for hunting so I will gladly help out our community :)

P1020116.jpg

P1020117.jpg

Backyardbuck.jpg

P1010551.jpg

Wow nice pics. :)

Pat

Some Old Guy

I am for the cull.

But I don't think any deer should be eligible for trophy status.

Just my thought.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Beamer

Its a huge area, Expressway to Townline road, I live more than 10 kilomters west of the expressway and am still inside city limits.

Guest fancy pants

P1020116.jpg

P1020117.jpg

Backyardbuck.jpg

P1010551.jpg

You could start "helping your community" by not throwing piles of feed down for these deer if you live in city limits and can't hunt them yet anyway. Its awsome that there is a thread with people trying to find viable solutions to the overpopulation of urban deer and you throw up pics of deer on your property that are eating a pile of feed. Maybe it fell from the sky, I don't know for sure because I wasn't there. But it looks like you are contributing to the problem, not the solution.

brookiebuster

BLR-WSM, need any help? :D

Travis Schallock

I am for the cull.

Just my thought.

Roger

I think they should be allowed to be entered as records. No different then any other 'city limits' like say the famous Edmonton bow only zone, where many people think the next archery world record will come from.

One idea might be to start an 'earn a buck' program for in city limits where you must first harvest a doe before you are allowed to take a buck. I don't see the population dropping any if everyone is out waiting for the big bucks.

Travis Schallock

Some Old Guy

Ok I was unaware of other cities doing this. Fair is fair.

I don't hunt so I don't really keep on top of it.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Smack Um

Map of The City of Thunder Bay it's actually a pretty big area link as follows:
/>http://www.thunderbay.ca/Assets/City+Government/City+Council/docs/high+Level+Ward+Map+PDF.pdf

I do not hunt big game or deer anymore and have not done so for many years but I do not have anything against those that want an Urban Hunt.

Money raised by such a hunt could be used to benifit residents in the form of snow removal,pot hole repairs,road maintenance etc.

Pat

Guest Beamer

I just want to hunt on my own land and get something for the excessive taxes I pay. There were over 800 hit by cars last year and will probably be the same or more this year.

Beamer

naden

Map of The City of Thunder Bay it's actually a pretty big area link as follows:
/>http://www.thunderbay.ca/Assets/City+Government/City+Council/docs/high+Level+Ward+Map+PDF.pdf

I do not hunt big game or deer anymore and have not done so for many years but I do not have anything against those that want an Urban Hunt.

Money raised by such a hunt could be used to benifit residents in the form of snow removal,pot hole repairs,road maintenance etc.

Pat

This is a good idea but the tags issued will not be by the city. The hunt will use regular mnr issued deer tags for wmu 13 so all the money generated from tag sales will go to the omnr.

PRO V

I am for the cull.

Just my thought.

Roger

The MNR mentioned that they wanted to drop the doe population, so it may be does only, i don't think taking bucks

will solve the problem.

Mike

tracker

As per the meeting last night, the new by-law will be "NO feeding" within the city limits. So if you are feeding them, stop doing it so the deer will eventually leave or starve. I hope our city councillers act on this immediately. The other by-law that was voted on and in favor of was archery deer hunting within in the city for Sept 15, 2012. Obviously within the boundaries that will be need to be fine tuned.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

brookiebuster

So is there going to be a hunt next year? Also on that map all the areas within the red are open to hunting?Like John st. and Dawson area?

bigfish

I think this should be a Charity Hunt...any deer taken 1/2 should be donated to the local food bank or should be open to a hunter that likes to hunt but unable to do it anymore do to a sickness/illness....for an example: a hunter(man,women,KID) that cant walk anymore do to a illness or accident...going to these areas and archery hunt a deer....I think that this would be awesome to see this happen!!!

Muz

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction