• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis Schallock

Letter from NDP Leader

Travis Schallock

I got this today from Nycole Turmel. Thought some people may want to read it.

Thank you for writing. We appreciate having the benefit of your comments. First, please know that the New Democrat position on the gun registry isclear. We want to address the legitimate concerns of rural, northern andAboriginal Canadians, while ensuring that the police have the tools theyneed to keep our streets safe. We believe in working together to buildsolutions that unite us and firmly reject the Prime Minister's approach ofplaying political games that divide.

It has always been the policy of the New Democratic Party that governmentbills are subject to a whipped vote and on private members' legislation MPscan vote their conscience. Bill C-19, Ending the Long Gun Registry Act, isgovernment legislation and both Bruce Hyer and John Rafferty were awarethere would be consequences if they broke ranks.

As it stands, our party has very serious concerns regarding Bill C-19. Inparticular, we oppose the surprise provision to completely destroy existingfiles. These records are valuable for public safety in this country and aconsiderable amount of public money has already been allocated and used inbuilding this information and database.

With this legislation Conservatives have shut out provinces and territoriesthat may wish to utilize the records to enhance public safety. Our partycaucus believes the registry's data should be made available to provincesthat want to maintain their own registry especially as an ongoing tool fortheir police forces.

Again, we appreciate having your thoughts on this matter.

Sincerely,

Office of Nycole Turmel,

M.P.Interim Leader of the Official Opposition

New Democratic Party of Canada

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Resource Pimp

Ha ha, I got the same letter. Funny thing is when I e-mailed her, my point was she silenced the voters here for any issues by silencing the MP's and that I would think twice about the NDP next election. She didn't seem to address that issue. As for her content about wanting the registry list, I feel like writing her back and asking her "if Coca Cola goes out of business, does she feel Pepsi is entitled to have their receipi"?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Guest fancy pants

Those record will be so out of date within a year of the registry ending anyway, what's the point of keeping them.

naden

The information would be out of date a day later nevermind a year later. The NDP seems to think that firearms owners do not buy/sell firearms regularily and that newly licensed people would not be buying new unregistered firearms. As soon as the registration is scrapped the information it contained is useless period, not that it was usefull information in the first place. The information is not valid currently anyways because there has been an amnesty in place for quite a while, not to mention a lot of people did not fully comply with the registry right from day one. It is my opinion that the information contained in the registry is not their information to share and sharing it violates the privacy of legal firearms owners. Even if a province was to have a registry, firearms can be legally bought and sold across provincial borders because a firearms license is federal. If the firearms were to leave the province they were registered in they would be untraceable. A firearm can be legally used by a person who is not the registered owner, just because it would be registered to a person living in a certain province it does not necessarily mean the firearm is even in that province. I doubt the provinces wishing to have a registry would have it in place before the federal registry is cancelled anyways. What would they do about the void in information between the cancellation of the federal registry and the start up of their own registry? Bottom line the federal registry didnt work, and a provincial registry wouldnt either. I think this is just an effort by the opposition to make the conservative majority look bad. Congratulations to Hyer and Rafferty for voting the way your constituents wanted you to vote.

Some Old Guy

I got the same letter also. Another huge bandaid!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest jackfish pete

Same response...to three different e-mails with critism from 3 different angles. I'm tempted to send an email thanking her for punishing Hyer and Rafferty just to see if it will get the same reply again :D

randomheroj

So today I spoke to Mr. Hyer today at the airport before he flew out to Ottawa. I thanked him for his vote and we talked about the situtation he is in. He hinted that maybe we should write to a Toronto news paper and enlighten the people in the southern part of our nice province since they have no clue how we do things up here. Maybe if they knew how we do things up here with our guns they would have no problem standing up for the people that voted them. By the people for the people, like their job is. I think our fellow provincal people should be brought up to speed on what their voted in representative should be doing for them not just laying down and not doing what the people asked them to do.. I have already sent my letter to the certain paper in Toronto so more letters they might actually print one.. thanks Randomhero...

Mr. Canoehead

yeah got a couple of those letters myself lol