• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rockstar

Motor for a 16' aluminum boat

Guest rockstar

Hello. My apologies for not posting often enough on this forum although i do lurk regularly.

I just purchased a 16' aluminum boat to get ready for spring/summer. The boat didn't come with a motor. It is a regular ol' silver aluminum deep and wide boat on a trailer.

I need to pick up a motor for it. I'm wondering what size of outboard motor would be good for a boat this size? I'll be going on Arrow Lake which can get really rough so I don't want something too small but then again I don't need a speed demon either. Just lookign for something just right. Would a 20hp do it? i also assume I'll need a long-shaft?

Thanks for your help!

DJL66

Rockstar I had a 16' Alumacraft lunker with floor and livewell with a 25hp Merc 2 stroke long shaft. I was able to get her up to 28mph by myself and with 2 people 25mph. Hole shot was very good as well. I forget what size and pitch the prop was though. It was a great set up and never felt I needed anything bigger on the back as I rarely had more than 3 people on board. It was rated for a 40hp and if I had more than 2-3 people all the time I think that would have been a better choice.

arvey

i have a 14 1/2 ft alumnicraft ,it has floor live well raised deck in the front with a 40 . i know this is no comparison to yours but i would say a 20 is to small, once you put all your gear and a partner or 2 in it. i would say 30 or better. just my veiw.

arvey

Some Old Guy

Does it still have the plate listing the max size of HP you could put on it? I would recomend what the plate says.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest rockstar

Thanks for the replies. It has a 15" transom and it looks like the plate says it is rated 25hp .. thanks again!

mike sawatsky

Hello Rockstar

A 15" transom is a short shaft. I work at North Country Cycle and Sports and in our experience we would not recommend going bigger than a 20hp if you go with a 4 stroke. What we have found is that because the 25 4 stroke is so heavy that the transom sits too low in the water and you have a lot of water come over the back of the boat.

If you want to go 2 stroke a 20 or 25 would be great.

Mike

Thunder Bay Bass Masters member

Thank you to my Sponsors

okuma.jpg

e8c6ab21-b858-4eaa-bdb6-69d20c3a5429.jpg

WWW.HEADRACK.COM

north-country-cycle2.gif

NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE AND SPORTS

WWW.THEFISHWRANGLERS.COM

@fishwranglers

brookiebuster

Id say go the biggest the boat can handle.A 25hp 2 stroke would be just fine.I have a 14' deep Lund with a 20hp.That setup flies even with 2-3 people and gear.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest Fitch

You need to measure the transom to where the motor mounts. It will be a 15" or 20". This will determine the whether you need a short shaft or long shaft motor. 25hp 2 stroke usually works nice if it is the deep wide model.

WalleyeWayne

My recommendation would be 25hp unless you intend on pulling the kids around the lake on tubes or skis (if light enough). A 25hp will pull the tube - but not real exhilarating for the kids. A 40hp would be better for that. As for gas, of course a 25hp would be better and provide sufficient power in rougher waters.