• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishingfinn

Best bang for $10K?

fishingfinn

So with the mild winter we're having I'm starting to get the itch for open water season. I've come up with a budget of approx $10K for a new boat. Currently I'm sporting a 14' car topper from which I would like to upgrade. I would like to start fishing some bigger lakes, eventually getting into tournaments. My dilemma is, do I get NEW or USED? Obviously $10K doesn't get me very far into a new setup...but I'm not a huge fan of putting $10K into something used where the motor might crap out the first time out. What's the best bang for my buck?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

you should be able to get a decent glass or tin boat powered with a 90 for that cash and have a few bucks to get trolling motor new batteries and electronics.

outboards can be expensive to repair , but10k on a new boat is a a 25horse and a plain tin boat. where as the used market has boats like this. and this.

not really much to fix on 2strk outboards if you check them out properly.

the most common mechnical issues are coil packs, staor, carb dirty, and rings.

here are a couple things you can check to se what kind of shape motor is in

have compresion checked hot and cold , every cyliner shoudl be within 10% and hot cold should only chage 10%. low compression engine will still run like a raped ape but is ready to go boom.

so rings and cylinders are good if this passes.

on a test drive check throttle through entire operating range, and idle warm/ cold and warm cold starting. if it runs good at all rpm with no vibration at speed reeds crank and carbs are good.

if it has a fishfinder turn it on and turn voltage display on. voltage should be well above 12 at idle and climb as rpm climbs.

most motor repairs bills will be self inflicted if you ask any owner.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President