• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
James01

Access to River

James01

I am not sure if you are the right person to be asking... but here goes.

Several years ago my friends and I used to make regular day/evening trips to fish the mouth of a river on a popular lake. It has always been gated, and posted with trespassing signs. I spoke to a camp owner there (really nice fellow, he lent my friend and I a row boat to get out from the shore a ways) and he said that while 'they' (being the camp owners) could gate the road, they legally could not restrict access to the lake... thus they could not stop people from walking down the road to fish from the public land along the lake shore beside their camps.

Has this changed? Can I still wander down this particular road? I am being vague on purpose - out of respect for the camp owners and out of concern for the lake.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Guest MNR

Unfortunately when talking about lands and access issues, you really do need to be specific. Where private property is concerned access can be denied by way of signage and gates. Walking past a legal sign and gate that are meant to restrict people from entering is an offence under the Trespass to Property Act.

Don’t assume that you have access because someone has told you that it’s ok. Only the registered property owner or their agent can give you authority to cross their private property. Do your homework and title search property ownership at the Land Registry Office @ 189 Red River Road on the 2nd floor.to determine private/crown land and the registered owner If the property is Crown Land then check with the local district office to determine the validity of the closure. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.