• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest River Rat48

Opti-Max Coil Recall

Guest River Rat48

If you have an Opti-Max Mercury motor you may want to check and see if it has a Coil recall on it. The dealer has had mine on the showroom floor and when I stopped in the other day they were in the process of changing them out and told me there was a recall on them for secondary voltage failure problems.

Trevor Zimak

Yes... Mercury had an issue with coils on the 2007/2008 production year Optimax's including the Pro XS. The coils that were said to have been bad had the numbers 2086 879984 engraved on them. Under Service Bulletin 2009-26 these coils were ALL to be replaced should one fail. I suggest that if anyone has a coil failure that they ask the dealer to reference (and actually READ) Service Bulletin 2009-26. This is to ensure the dealer doesn't charge you as well, regardless of whether or not you have warranty. They can access this through Merc Net.

The number of the new coil is 300 879984T01 (part number on the box) ignition coil number (8M0042380). - not sure of exact #, but the new, updated coils start with the 8M code, unless this has changed (I went through this in 2010). If your Opti has the 8M code, (2010 models and above, maybe some 2009 as well) these are the new coils, if it is the latter, you have the ones that have been known to be faulty. FYI, even if you do have the "faulty" ones, that doesn't mean that they will fail.

- Zimmers