• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

randomheroj

I want to get a crossbow

randomheroj

I had a stroke 2 years ago so my good old compound is getting harder to pull back so I want to trade up to a crossbow. Anybody shed some light on which make model and other factors i should be looking at when I buy one?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

im looking at a crossbow as well.

there are 3 types now.

a recurve , compound and reverse compound

recurve is the simplest. has very good speeds, heavy actual draw weight but cocking mechnism make cocking a 225 lb bow with 2 fingers easy.

recurve can be decocked without firing, and recurve can be restrung in minutes. recurve is the widest and loudest.

compound has shorter limbs and will be quieter but most cant decock so need to fired at end of day they have a light cocking weight. and most have anti dry fire mech

reverse compound is the same a compound but is shorter and narrower than all others as string is at front and limbs at rear, and i think these are the quietest but not cheap

i am going with a recurve as added width and noise is not a concern for me. none of these are quiet so noise is noise either way. i like the simplicity of these compared to compounds as there really is much to go wrong. i could shoot a bow but I like the ambidextrous of the crossbow when shooting from a treestand.

im gonna grab one of those maxus bonesplitters from DnR. light fast and easy to rooster 200 lb draw 335fps. online reviews have been very good on this model

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Jayfishin

Excalibur...can't go wrong.
/>http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

Jay

brookiebuster

I'd go with a recurve limb crossbow.They are more reliable due to no cams and less parts that could potentially be broken out in the field.Get some limb silencers and you are good to go.Excaliber is a great choice.Also Excaliber crossbows are made in Canada!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

mooboy76

I would also suggest an Excalibur, but that's what I have so I am a bit biased. It is my first crossbow and I am really enjoying it (no luck with the deer yet though). I have yet to have a problem, but I have heard that the Excalibur customer service and Warranty is second to none.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

Thefishleclair

Excaluber X Bow, D&R has a stockpile of em, Daughter got her Doe last night with one, Complete pass through at 30 Yards! And it went in the shoulder and out near the last rib.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

When I was at D&R a few weeks ago they got a huge shipment of excalibers in.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

milspec

Urban Deer Hunt must have sky rocketed thier sales in the last month.

SherpaJ

you'll never regret buying an Excalibur! Never! Pure Reliability! Anybody who owns one will agree. My excalibur equinox puts bolts through targets that other companies crossbows (with the same claimed speed) cant. I never aim at the same target twice with my excalibur, you'll ruin the bolts every time you do.

Guest stumped

Well, I didn't get an Excalibur, but I did get a TenPoint from DnR. I have only been using it out at the Archery course for now. Will wait until next season before hunting because I want to ensure I am doing everything right with it before actually trying to take down an animal. So far I have been very happy with it. The only problem has been with the ACU for drawing the string, it has stretched and does not always recoil properly, but Adrian was very helpful and fixed it for me. If it happens again I should be good to fix it myself next time.

Stumped