• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
magicman

Broken Driveshaft

magicman

Anybody ever break a driveshaft? Mine somehow just snapped down at the bottom right above where it joins the pinion gear. Perfectly clean break. wouldn't even have guessed it was a break. Would this be an expensive repair? The motor is quite old. 1960's Johnson 15 hp. Don't really have the cash to buy anything newer at the moment.

Thanks

fishingfinn

Nope I've never snapped one, I have a 1984 Evinrude 15hp. The driveshaft is easy enough to change, and you might be able to find a used one at overhill sports so it really shouldn't be an expensive repair at all.

Guest Melly

Anybody ever break a driveshaft? Mine somehow just snapped down at the bottom right above where it joins the pinion gear. Perfectly clean break. wouldn't even have guessed it was a break. Would this be an expensive repair? The motor is quite old. 1960's Johnson 15 hp. Don't really have the cash to buy anything newer at the moment.

Thanks

i broke mine 2 years ago cost about 300 bucks to repair

naden

Id look for a used one or a parts motor, over the hill might have them. There are a million of those motors around so shouldnt be too hard to find. Try ebay as well. Depending on where it broke you could just have it welded, Ive heard of guys cutting the drive shafts on those motors and shortening them then re welding them when converting a long shaft to a short shaft so it can be done. Try alloy technical welding off of simpson st if you wanna go that route or weld it yourself if you have the capability.