• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrski

Battery Performance

Barrski

I'm looking for some advice on a high grade battery for my boat. I have the same battery that runs my livewell and starts my 150 mercury.

The problem I have is after 2-3 hours of running my live well I need to boost the battery as it does not have enough power to crank over the motor.

What is the best battery I can get that has both good cranking amps and ability to run my livewell

Thanks in advance

barrski

WalleyeWayne

That seems to be an inordinate amount of drain on your battery from just running the pump on the livewell...? A starting battery with 880 cranking amps should be enough and have enough reserve to start your motor after running the livewell off it. However, start the big motor every couple hours and run it for 10 mins to re-charge the battery. You can have your battery load tested and show that it's fine...but it won't show reserve capacity. I found this out the hard way when my trolling batteries were drained after only 1 day of trolling. I charged 'em up and checked them 3 days later to find that they had lost 1/3 the charge, with nothing connected to drain them. Long story short, charge the battery, leave it for a few days and re-check the charge. If it's down again then it's time to buy a new one.

• Like 1

Abes

Interstate 24xhd. Has 1000 CA. My opti requires 1000 and I run my pumps plus sonars off of it with no problems.

Dale Gaudry

What kind of Mercury? Black Max, EFI, Optimax? What year?

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

Some Old Guy

I just bought a group 31 AGM tech battery. I haven't charged it since Frazer and been using it almost every day. (this is my bow mount battery but still has 1100 cranking amps and 200 minutes of reserve.)

I read good things about AGM styles and they are gel filled and can take a rough ride with minimum discharge. So far I'm really liking it.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Barrski

Thanks for the feed back I ended up getting a Nautilus dual purpose 1000 Cranking amps and 205 minutes at 25 amp draw.

Will see how it holds out at GWC

barrski