• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CoryCo

1980 25hp evinrude problem

CoryCo

I recently bought a new boat with a 1980 25hp evinrude on it. The guy fired it up for me to show me it ran, so I figured it was good. I don't know much about outboards but when I ran the motor in a bucket of water I didn't notice a steady stream of water like I do on my 1985 40hp evinrude.

Looks like this:
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lE9htgT6Is
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS5WWfWvuAw

The water was also warm coming out of there.

After researching I found out it could be either the thermostat or the telltale. I don't know how to fix either of these. I know my way around a car engine, but I'm not a marine mechanic.

Appreciate the help.

DJL66

I would think it is your impeller that needs changing. I would first take a look to see what shape it is in before I spend any money. Impellers have a life span of approx 5 years and this is an easy fix.

Good luck.

CoryCo

Is there any manual I can find online? I really have no idea what I'm doing with outboards.

Would it be worth it to bring it into a mechanic, I was told bob Maw on 61b is a great mechanic.

bwkre

I think I would want to try it on the water first. It looked like there was so much turbulence and exhast in your bucket that you could have been starving the inlet to the pump. Not to mention having it pull in exhast gas ( air ). It might be a pain but.... a short spin in the water will give you a better indication of the pumps operation. Don't get it hot just in case. A 100 feet out and back should give you the answer. Muffs force the water so I don't think you could use them to test the pump, it's got to be in the water. I'm not a mechanic, just what I would do first before tearing it apart.

fishingfinn

I've had the same problem, more than likely your impeller or seals on your water pump. Make sure you have a good seal between your impeller housing and bottom end, I used RTV sealant....and make sure the copper tube that goes into your water pump isn't clogged, and make it it lines up and goes straight through the grommet into your water pump.

CoryCo

Haven't checked this in a while.. I just took a compressor and pumped air through everything and now it runs better than ever.

Dale Gaudry

I can't watch the video on my phone but this problem often occurred in test tanks. The smallest orifice in the cooling system is the fitting on the lower cowering where the water comes out to show you it's working. This is only a portion of the water that is flowing through the engine. The rest of it exits with the exhaust. Always keep a small wire close by and insert it in the fitting about 1" and wiggle it around to free the pieces of debris that tend to clog to hole. This is also true for engines that run in dirty water or weeds. Not sure if this helps with out seeing it, but It's still good to know

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE