• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cstclair

Nitro boat goes over falls in Northern Lights Lake

Guest Wes

Imagine that, your super expensive rig gone because of our crazy salvage laws and you did not get back to recover it in time.

I am not informed of these laws but I would hope, for these guys sake, that there is some kind of buffer to allow you enough time to recover what is yours, as well as, before any fines start being dished out due to environmental issues. (oil/gas leaks..etc.)

Getting that boat out of there is going to be a huge task. I couldn't even image how you would go about it. You can't just hop in and throw that motor on your shoulder and walk out.

I don't know the lake or area so I don't even know if you can get a larger salvage boat near to winch it up. ???

Thefishleclair

Helicopter!

Salvage laws I think are 30 or 90 days from report that it is there.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest cstclair

LOL. Wait till winter!

If anything is salvageable. The water is about 12" higher than previous years. So maybe in a month you could somehow get in and drag it closer to shore.

WalleyeWayne

I'm not a salvage expert, but perhaps we should shift our train of thought to helping out??? A couple boats strategically positioned upstream to break the current, a couple boats with larger motors inside the break boats and 100 yrds of rope for pulling. Rope onto the Nitro and give 'er a pull. To whomever owns the Nitro pm me and I will offer to help with the recovery. It's what I would expect if it happened to me. Just saying!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

ya ive had an anchor stuck so bad 2 larger boats couldnt pull it, pulling a grounded boat um probably not,

but since we are throwing out ideas. . . . .

i figure you need a pontoon boat or tow a swim dock to move atvs to river. and place to put 2 atvs on shore, then strap nitro hull and hook a snatch block to nitro and snatch block on opposite bank.

start cable hooked to tree/rock on atv shore then through far shore block then through boat snatch block then then back to atvs. it should look like a triangle

both atvs winch on cable end. the 2 pulleys will more than double pulling power and pull boat straight up middle. 2x 2500lb winchs pulling on a boat with 2 pulleys, call it 13000lbs . like nothing.

maybe even wanna bring a gas powered sump to run in boat once it gets pointed up stream(everyone in east end should own one by now)

i will dontate one atv and 2 snatch blocks ,250ft of cable and an afternoon just for video footage.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

naden

Doubt youd be able to attach a sling or cable to a place on that boat that would support 13000 lbs of force

fisherdude

I showed this picture to a guy at hockey today that has had a camp at northern lights for a long time and all he said was.... Wait for it at the bridge down river, so I wouldn't get anyone hopes up Ob gettin it out. I like your way of thinking on tryin but from what iv heard is no boat should be any close to the mouth by the falls.... I can't see a recovery like this going very well unfortunately.

WalleyeWayne

I like Ryan's idea. Even if you don't winch it to shore, surely it can be winched enough to dislodge it from the retaining structure. It can then float down river and be hauled in. Regardless, there isn't much to do until the owner has been identified...?

Some Old Guy

How far of a ride is it from the launch to the falls?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest JeffB

Ive got a good fast boat that Im sure I can fit my quad onto the deck of, plenty of chains, straps, cables, come-alongs, and all sorts of other equipment that Im sure could get that boat out of there.

Although Im not very familiar with Northern Lights, Id be willing to volunteer my help and equipment.. Im not really using it much for any other purpose.

Does anyone know where the falls are via google earth? Anyway to pound a pretty serious 4x4 into there? Skidder? Dozer?

Drunk or not, some help is whats required here.

WalleyeWayne

I agree and I'm here to help. If someone else has any info please post it here (and maybe on Facebook or something) so whomever owns the boat knows there are peopleon this site willing to help.

Guest cstclair

The falls are about a 10km ride up the lake. The problem with northern lights lake is that there are TONS of underwater islands and the water is very high this summer which equals shoals you can't see and alot more water going over the falls. There is no roads going close to the falls. A sandy beach for pulling up and tying off. If that motor came off you could likely dislodge it from the rocks and float it down river.

But the nearest bridge to come close to the boat is off the gunflint trail in Minnesota. So makes recovery even more far fetched.

If anyone wants to try a recovery I will be in! And if we don't succeed we can still fish!

fisherdude

Good to see everyone wanting to help out so much. Hopefully a recovery mission is successful if attempted and nothing goes bad. Would hate I see another boat get messed up trying to help

Guest Munshaw

That would be my biggest worry is someone else getting hurt or something else getting wrecked. I am sure insurance knows about it by now....

Also, if someone else does recover it, there is usually a reward based on the value of the salvage.

Some Old Guy

I greatly respect the offer to help someone but I really think as was mentioned that you have to find the owner first.

Things that come to my mind is, what if there is more damaged caused by trying to get the boat out. Who is responsible?

We all know people who have claimed more on their insurance. So what if he had nothing but the best and most expensive fish finders on the boat. All they have to ask is where did they go? (even though they weren't there in the 1st place.)

Does an adjuster go out there first?

And it would be horrible if someone got hurt or got their equipment damaged trying to help.

Just a couple of things to look at....

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Lyle Reiner

Also I know with cars and pickups. If you know someone who put their car in the ditch drunk and you help pull them out, you can also be charged with something. Can't remember what tho

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Heisenberg

If anyone needs somebody to go for a swim / wade in there, let me know. I've got a whitewater rescue certificate, high angle / ropes experience as well much experience freeing pinned boats in rapids (mind you those are mostly canoes and kayaks). A heads up for anyone contemplating pulling it off the rocks: It's not just the weight of the boat, but also the ton(s) (literally) of water inside it that are going to be an issue. Also do NOT go anywhere near the downstream side of the boat if there is even the slightest chance of it moving, either on it's own or when tugging on it.

Hope the boat is not a write-off!

Whatever the outcome, please post what happens.

H.

jonnyriabov

I passed a message along for the owner to check the site for retrieval assistance.

fisherdude

Right on I was wondering how long it woul take for the owner toget wind of all this.

Guest JeffB

If it can be floated down river, maybe thats the best approach? Get some floatation devices/air bags under or attached to it, point the bow upstream, pump out the water and wait for it down river?

Maybe he doesnt have insurance on it?

WalleyeWayne

Ok so we got a group of volunteers ready to help. What puzzles me is that nobody with an ownership interest has done anything yet to try to remove the boat??? You would think some "law-body" like the Ministry of Environment, OPP, MNR or someone would be pressuring whomever the registration numbers it be longs to to remove the boat.??? I'm on holidays after tomorrow and would be willing to take a ride out to see what's up. I don't know Northern Lites lake but if someone wants to go that knows the lake...I got a boat.

fisherdude

Like someone else states this like has a ton o sunken islands and a lot of things to hit... Be careful out there guys.Sometimes these islands have bin known to move hahah

Guest cstclair

The water is very high this year so have an eye out for more of those islands. You can get a map from Northern Lights resort but be careful, it's not too accurate.