• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
milspec

Bow Hunting News?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Ryan,

A +50 yds shot, in low light ,at a LIVE deer sized target, that knows something is going on?

You are lucky you missed completely.......

iceman

in hindsight ,yes it was a hasty move.

I was aiming low for an immediate blood trail.

he was right behind a marker

i knew if 50yd disc was actually 60 it would miss even if he jumped string. 30 and 40 are flags so no confusion there.

so not as irresponsible as it sounds.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

milspec

I agree with Iceman, but I'm not the one behind the bow, good luck next time bud.

brookiebuster

If you're comfortable shooting at 50 yards in low light at a deer.. go for it! I personally limit myself to around 30-35yds. But I pratice at longer ranges just incase I get a shot oportunity. I'll bring out the bow in a few weeks to take a gander at a buck. For now, moose! Good luck out there.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Jayfishin

Great pics Randy.

Harvested a doe Saturday am, now its time to concentrate on those bucks!

Jay

milspec

Any rut action yet?

brookiebuster

I heard they are starting to rut. My buddy rattled in a small buck the other day.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

milspec

Living the dream eh Beamer.

i agree ratiling seems to be working

I tried those HS wafer estrus scents heard quite a few loud snorts almost like sneezing (but not a snort wheeze). curious what that was? seemed in response to scent and deer was running in circles behind me out of sight making this noise. was it a rival doe?

Guest Beamer

i agree ratiling seems to be working

I tried those HS wafer estrus scents heard quite a few loud snorts almost like sneezing (but not a snort wheeze). curious what that was? seemed in response to scent and deer was running in circles behind me out of sight making this noise. was it a rival doe?

Deer make that noise when they don't like something either sound, scent or visual, but they also make it to other deer. Both bucks and does do it, bucks are very much louder and make a unique snort/wheeze. I have had good success duplicating this sound and have harvested quite a few nice bucks using it, I believe they make it trying to determine "Who is out there" twice after hearing deer make this sound then using it myself I have had bucks literally run toward me after making this call. On other occasions I have heard deer making this noise made the call myself then had nice bucks sneak in to see what or who made it. I use this call lot and test deer with it when I am in my stand watching them just to see how they react and in a lot of cases it calms edgy deer down as I believe they do it to see if they get a reply or I m out of here so to speak.

Beamer

was hoping you'd chime in

so i should have answered same noise they made, wasn't sure and with a spiker buck making an apperance minutes later i didnt know if i did right or wrong. as the two events may have been a coincidence.

heard the snort wheeze a lot before and I answered back with similar results but this was different just the chssssssshhhhh sound repeated and the animal sounded pissed with the loud stomping, so i was kind of clueless.

i ll hang the scent again tommorw and try again.

Guest Beamer

was hoping you'd chime in

so i should have answered same noise they made, wasn't sure and with a spiker buck making an apperance minutes later i didnt know if i did right or wrong. as the two events may have been a coincidence.

heard the snort wheeze a lot before and I answered back with similar results but this was different just the chssssssshhhhh sound repeated and the animal sounded pissed with the loud stomping, so i was kind of clueless.

i ll hang the scent again tommorw and try again.

Stomp back if your on the ground, the sounds you are talking about is a deer trying to determine if you are another deer. I used the term snort/wheeze in general terms(snorts wheezing whistles blows screeches are all part of this) I have heard it vocalized many different ways sometimes it makes the hair on your neck stand up when large bucks use it. It is made by deer trying to determine if what alerted them is friend or foe and by foe. They do it to each other especially when deer start wondering in and out of there territory and into the territory of other deer and it is used to intimidate a response or challenge some deer run from some run to it. Besides if you don't respond the deer will get out of Dodge in most cases so no loss trying.

Guest Beamer

IMG_2830.jpg

Late November 9 pointer harvested with my BowTech Guardian

img_28882.jpg

A new bow hunter, my son with his new bow

Beamer