• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
randomheroj

Walking with multiple guns

randomheroj

When hunting moose and partridge am I able to carry my .22cal and my 3006. Or since my .22cal is classified as a rifle it's illegal to have two rifles. I know it's a dumb question but my buddy and I are having a debate. Thanks

Guest MNR

In general, if it is legal to use a firearm because it is appropriate for the type of licence you possess and the firearms rules associated with the hunting seasons (bows vs muzzle loaders vs rifles) that are open at the time, there is nothing prohibiting you from bringing more than one (unless you’re sharing a single firearm with an apprentice hunter, but that’s another issue).

This does not mean that all combinations of guns, rifles or ammunition are legal all the time.

As an example, if you only possess a small game licence and you’re in an area where there is an open season for big game, you can’t possess or use a rifle of greater calibre or projectile power than the rifle known as a .22-calibre rim-fire rifle chambered for .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle; or a shotgun loaded with ball or shot larger than number two shot. You may possess and use steel shot that is not larger than triple BB steel shot or in the case of shot made of bismuth, shot that is not larger than double BB bismuth shot. The intent of this section is to prohibit the possession and use of firearms capable of killing big game when you do not have a big game licence.

The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act makes it illegal for anyone who is hunting moose or deer to carry or use a firearm unless it is of a class of firearms permitted for hunting those species at that particular time. So, if you’re out hunting moose or deer during the archery-only season for those species, you cannot carry anything other than a bow.

Reference the 2009 Hunting Regulations Summary for more information