• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
milspec

Word of Warning

milspec

I'm not going to name names, but there is a certain local bow shop ran out of someones basement that is giving biased information. I won't be dealing with them anymore.

I was talking with the gentlemen that owns the shop about helical fletching. This is were my radar went off, first he asked me where I got my arrows, I get my arrows off ebay, I get exactly what I want at a very affordable price, he responded by simply saying you should buy from me you can't trust those sites. He then told me that I can't put helical fletching on my Easton Full Metal Jackets (400s) because of their thin diameter. Well low and behold archerytalk.com forum to the rescue.

Here is the question I asked followed by some very quick replies

Helical Fletching on a Easton FMJ?

1. Hey guys,I little while ago I went to a local "bow techs" home to look through his inventory and ask a few questions. We started talking about helical fletching and he told me that I can't put helical fletching on my Easton FMJ because of their thin diameter, is this true? I use the 400 (10.2gpi). I'm just wondering because this guy seemed pretty biased about a lot of things during our discussions, and I was starting to think that he was just saying things to get me to switch brands so I'd start buying my supplies from him.

clear.gif

pu.pngontarget7
    "Wrong info bro.. Yes you can"

clear.gifyotamonster
  2. "I hope so because I plan on doing it."

clear.gif
    olemil4me
  3. "I have helical on my axis arrows which are same dia. I used az ez mini fletch works great"

clear.gif

backhoe
  4. "I use the Arizona Mini also and did up 7 the other night with a mean helical that the jig puts on them and they fly great..." wink.gif

clear.gif
  5. caribouhunter30
    "Yes you can I fletch mine with a blazed helix jig and they fly like darts. I also fletch my A/C/G target arrows with it as well. I usedntonfletch them on a bitzenberger with a 4" feather using the helical clamp. So it can be done without issue."

I'm not trying to bust this guys balls or his shop, but if you go there just be aware that you could be getting the run around.

Here is the link to the forum site that I posted this question on.

http://www.archeryta...d.php?t=1863548

Mr. Canoehead

As someone who is planning on getting a crossbow for next season I thank you. I have that guy's business card in my wallet...make that had.

Some Old Guy

I just made a phone call about your helical fletching, it can and is done to those arrows.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

milspec

Your welcome. From one archer to another, the internet is a wonderful place!

milspec

Mr. Canoehead, if you want quality advice from a local, call or email Alex Gouthro. You want be disappointed or given the run around. He doesn't sell or provide bow tuning service for the general public (that I'm aware of) but he is like local Yoda on bow hunting, "MmmmMmm Crossbow you seek" lol. But in all seriousness, he's a great guy, I met him during a seminar at the Lakehead Archers Club.

http://www.alexgouthro.com/

dano

Are you using feathers or vanes? Shorter vanes like Blazers make it difficult to do a helical on FMJs. Doing just an offset is no problem. If you use the blazer helix jig you can put a helical on them. Use a good glue and maybe a arrow wrap. No difference in point of impact with my arrows with an offset or a helical from what I have seen. I did notice that there is far less contact between the vane and arrow shaft when I put the helical on them.

milspec

Good to know, I plan on buying a few different jigs and experimenting with each, blitz, az ez, bohning tower, etc etc. Going to try out all sorts of feathers and vanes with different offsets and helical.

Thefishleclair

I dont find much of a differance, I shoot feathers, Vanes and them small blazers and my all my arrows hit the target just the same @ 30 Yards and start to "ungroup" at 40 but still kill zone. After 40 I do not plan on sending an arrow at my critter, Unless its a grouse or rabbit!, I just bought a jig to put feathers on all my arrows, I find they fly well and they are a bit more forgiving if ya cut some of it off. Right helical.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

milspec

what jig did you get ?

brookiebuster

I was going to get a bow from there but steered somewhere else.He measured my draw length 3" too long.He was trying to sell me a $1500 bare bow that would "fit" me. I also noticed his advice was a little off..

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

milspec

Its sad really. Its not hard to make money being honest. If I was him I would just stick to being a bow mechanic for the general public, then he wouldn't have to worry about product sales and would be able to focus on truly fine tuning and diagnosing bows, which was the reason why I went there in the first place, all I wanted was to get some slightly beat up but usable arrow shafts cut to the same length, instead of a what can I help you with, I got the why are you using this crap speech, little did I know he was full sh*t and I was almost convinced he was telling the truth, but my mom always told me to double check my homework and thank goodness I did.