• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

brookiebuster

Moose opener

brookiebuster

Anybody fill their tags this morning? Got stopped by a co and he said that there were 3 down before 10:00am in the area. Nothing for me yet. Found some fresh tracks.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Hurketthunter

Not a thing moving in our area this morning. Nobody was seeing any tracks. Guess the snow storm was keeping them holed up in the thick stuff.

ghart

small localized blizzard... couldnt even wake the moose up.... shoulda stayed inbed myself

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Mr. Canoehead

Me and my buddy just had calf tags but just after sunrise this morning he ended up looking at a either a calf or a yearling cow and couldn't decide which it was. So he let it walk away. He was thrown off because it was all alone in a clearcut but of course on the way home decides that it must have been a calf lol.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

just use last years calf tag, good for a yearling ;) ;)

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Hurketthunter

If it was all alone better not to risk it. Hate to walk up on your "calf" and find out its a teenager.

Dale Gaudry

Saw a Bull and a Cow but only had a calf tag. It seemed that nobody in the area I was hunting went home without filling there tags.

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

brian

just got back from camp cow tag filled by 9.30 am on sat.. I stayed behind at camp today and watch a nice bull walk down the camp road this am. Bull tag was out hunting away from camp. We had quite the story to tell when they came back.I guess it's like fishing, you never fish in front of camp you have to go miles down the lake. Hunting seems to be working out the same

brian

just got back from camp cow tag filled by 9.30 am on sat.. I stayed behind at camp today and watch a nice bull walk down the camp road this am. Bull tag was out hunting away from camp. We had quite the story to tell when they came back.I guess it's like fishing, you never fish in front of camp you have to go miles down the lake. Hunting seems to be working out the same

Mr. Canoehead

Yeah I'm glad he made the right call.

naden

our group had a cow and bull down around 8 30 opening morning, didnt see much for the rest of the week

jiggin rap

My partner seen 3 what he thought was 3 cows last night. He had a cow tag so he picked the biggest one and dropped it. Kind of disconcerting when we were quartering it

and watching the eyeballs of the calves in the flashlight 50 ft away. He said when he walked up to the cow after dropping it he had to shoo the others away. He still swears that they looked like 3 cows.

If they were last years calves would the cow still be milking?

jiggin rap

No she wouldn't be milking unless she had calves. Said to hear.... One shot and three dead moose.

NorthwestHunter

Most biologists will tell you that fawns and calves have the same survival rate through the winter with or without their mother. This has been proven in various studys.

So one shot in this case does not mean three dead moose...certainly not if these calves were almost the same size as the cow.

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Resource Pimp

I see articles online putting the orphaned calf survival rate in both directions. Personally I feel if they were this years calves they are doomed.

http://www.livescien...-survivors.html

Going a little further off topic, Back in 83 or 84 just before the current tag draw system when it required two hunters to hunt together for any adult moose and both hunters tag the same animal, a friend and I were hunting early December. We shot a cow and when we gutted it there were easily recognizable twin calves about the size of a squirrel. Long story short, I felt so bad about that have not shot a cow since and never would.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if Ontario made some changes to bring up the herd size, instead of fewer counts in the arial surveys and fewer tags. Maybe a bull only hunt every other year(with bull-cow in the off years)for a while ? Some will balk at that, but its better than a "once in a lifetime" moose hunt like some other places. Don't think it couldn't ever come to that.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Red_Nuck

Scoped a doe and fawn from close an hour into opening morn, made the pass...walked right up on a cow second day, but no cow tag.

The "bull only hunt every other year" idea sounds decent to me....I'd also like to see the calf season shortened to bring up recruitment, even just take away the first couple weeks of the gun season.....so few calves seem to make it to the start of the season to start, then they don't have much of a chance when there's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many hunters with calf tags out there the first couple weekends

naden

I think the idea is that so few calves are shot that it doesnt really affect the population much if a few calves are harvested here and there, Im not saying this is my opinion but I think that is why a calf tag is available to everyone. I have been moose hunting a specific area for the last 5 years with a large group of guys and none of us have ever seen a calf ever in that area, there are calf tracks everywhere but the cows do a good job of keeping them hidden. As for bull and cow tags I like to hope the mnr is able to accurately estimate populations for certain areas which dictates the tags available but who really knows for certain, only time will tell.

As resource pimp said, Minnesotas moose herd is in trouble and they already have a bull only, once in a lifetime harvest. They arent that far away and we could be next.

Travis Schallock

I would like to take Resource Pimps idea a step further. No cows, no calves, unless there is a over population problem, or at least a very limited number of cow/calf tags available. Everyone can buy a bull tag over the counter, but there are antler restrictions. Spike, fork, or 3 points on the brow palm. This is the system they changed to in BC about 15 years ago. At first a lot of people complained, said it was too hard to count points, or everyone would just poach. Didn't happen. It has worked well and everyone gets a chance at a bull, and the populations are fantastic.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i not worried about moose population, go out during bow season and you will see. th was my first year and i came home with nothing as i had a cow tag but had 5 different bulls answer back and come to call in an area 5 square miles, and those are just the vocal ones. 1 bull had a cow or cows. A member of our group spotted 5 moose after legal light on drive into camp a few miles west of where we were hunting/calling. so over 10 moose seen in 20 sq miles, thats a lot

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Hurketthunter

How is everyone's season going so far? Our group was out last weekend and finding fresh sign was pretty tough which we expected. How about you? Are you seeing much moose movement in your area right now?

Hurketthunter

nwodeerhunter

We were out from opening day until last sunday in 15B and our group shot a bull and saw another bull and a cow but unfortunatly the cow tag had already left to return home. Alot of fresh sign where we were camped and in the areas we hunted.

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.

dano

I think we should be careful what we wish for as far as asking for restrictions when it comes to antler size, cow/calves etc.

brookiebuster

Lots of moose sign in the area I'm hunting in. Just need to find a moose standing in the tracks!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent