• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unbedable

Ruger gunsite scout vs Mossberg 4x4

unbedable

Has anyone shot one?

I was looking at buying a deer gun, both bolt action and these two have caught my eye. The scout is .308 and 4x in 30-06. The mossberg is about half the price through cabelas, and comes with a scope (eventually switch out).

I liked the scout cause it would be better in the truck and quicker acquisition. Both have decent reviews. I liked the look of the laminate.

Also, another part of the equation is the mossberg comes with a muzzle break. I've heard even though this cuts recoil (not much on a 'o6, ) this makes quite the bang though?

Any advice would be appreciated

Guest Wes

I own the mossberg 4x4 .270 and love it. Shoots straight and hits hard. Well made rifle and very comfortable to shoot. I recommend it highly.

30.06 might be a bit much for deer unless you downsize to a 130 or 150 grain bullet. .270 shoots straighter for longer.

just my 2 cents.

Wes

naden

Id buy the gun that you like the most and fits you the best with out worrying as much about the calibre, 270 , 30/30, 308, 243, 7mm 08, 30-06 all equate to a dead deer. I wouldnt consider 30-06 too heavy for deer the real world difference in ballistics between 308, 30-06, and 270 are minimal. The 270 is slightly straighter but not by much and unless your shooting off a bench 5 inches less drop at 300 yards isnt gonna help you much. The one advantage that 30-06 does have over most cartridges is that it is available almost everywhere in a wide variety of brands and bullet styles, and if your out in the bush and need some 30-06 shells one of your hunting buddies will probably have some.

• Like 1

naden

Id buy that you like the most and fits you the best with out worrying as much about the calibre, 270 , 30/30, 308, 243, 7mm 08, 30-06 all equate to a dead deer. I wouldnt consider 30-06 too heavy deer the real world difference in ballistics between 308, 30-06, and 270 are minimal. The 270 is slightly straighter but not by much and unless your shooting off a bench 5 inches less drop at 300 yards isnt gonna help you much. The one advantage that 30-06 does have over most cartridges is that it is available almost everywhere in a wide variety of brands and bullet styles, and if your out in the bush and need some 30-06 shells one of your hunting buddies will probably have some.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

id take a ruger over a mossy anytime. ruger trigger not great but mossy isnt better. mossberg just started making rifles fairly recent and i have heard of a couple bolt and optics mounts failures. when compared side by side ruger is just built better

ruger action has been around for a century, and their rifles are proven,

mossberg is marketing with low$ pricing and combo packages trying to compete with savage, remmington and marlins sub $400 scoped combos

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

levi64

I couldn't say what make is better, but a 270 is a deer gun and i'd say the best straight out calibre for deer, but thats about it. I agree with Naden in regards to the 30-06, most likely the most versitale gun around, Either way dead dear. A muzzle break most definately cuts down recoil but I really don't think its required for anything under a 338, unless its not costing you anything extra.

randomheroj

Go with the mossberg. Just don't use a .300 mag.

SherpaJ

I have had bad experience with mossberg. I bought a 930 autoloader shotgun and it jammed on the very first shot that I took, turned out some pin broke and they replaced it for me no problem, but it was just a headache. After a friend of mine also bought a mossberg and his wouldn't cycle, I decided to get rid of it for the Benelli Vinci. With that said, I've only heard good things about the 4X4 rifles. I have always avoided "combo" rifles simply because the scopes are worthless. (All my rifles are equipped with Leupold scopes).

Ruger's are undeniably some of the most reliable guns in the world, thats how the 10/22 has become so popular, but I personally would NOT consider the gunsite scout a good deer hunting option. Unless you do lots of still hunting or dogging, then it is for sure the better option! The 16.5" barrel will sacrifice your long-range accuracy.

I wouldn't consider calibre to be a deciding factor at all, both have enough power to kill a deer, and even moose, its all about shot placement. Go with whatever rifle best suits the type of hunting you do, and feels nicest against your shoulder.

unbedable

Thanks everyone for replying and for the input. I figured the best choice for myself at the moment would be the 4x4, due to price, feel etc. When it came it looked really pretty, and I was actually surprised that I could put holes through holes from 25 yrds just off of my backpack. It was a good thing I took it to sight in, and it paid off :)

thanks again for everyone's advice both ways!

post-775-0-39954300-1352483555_thumb.jpg

Guest Wes

It doesn't always have to be the best rifle to be the best rifle for you. I am sure you'll continue to enjoy success with that rifle for many years to come. Plus it sure is pretty to look at. Congrats on the Doe.

Wes

davek

Have had a mossberg 30 06 for some 30 some years, bolt action shot many moose and deer been a good rifle .

gsambray

I have a mossberg 4x4 in 7mm mag and love it. Shoots nice and accurate. It is louder than my last rifle but not bad. I use mine for moose deer and bear. Had the gun for 3 seasons and had no problems. Liked it so much i bought the moss pump 12 guage took to a gravel pit and ran 150 rounds through it straight outta the box and never skipped a beat. Took down a 350lb black bear with a slug too. Very happy with mossberg products