• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest John1111

Rabbit Hunting

Guest John1111

I really would like to take my son rabbit hunting but the only good spots I know are around Nipigon. Does anyone have any areas they can share close to Thunder Bay? We grouse hunt up Hwy 61 in the Lake Lenore area as well as in the Adrian Lake area and have not seen one hare in all our times out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thefishleclair

Seems the hares have gone to the crapper!!!

Last year on my trap line I would see loads of rabbits, Now I am lucky to se a few. Go early AM or Just before dark. I plan on going to my Cousins for some trappin and I always see lots there. If I do not see any Id say they are on the down fall!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Some Old Guy

Actually I have seen many many hares this year!

John, I live in the area you hunt grouse in and there is many hares. Maybe slow down a bit. They blend right in to the back ground right now and are very hard to spot if they stay still.

Wait until the first snow fall and you'll see tracks everywhere!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Thefishleclair

Or wait until they get dupped into turning white before the snow flies. :)

Bin there done that and shot way to many!!! I was farttin rabbit for months, from pies, to baked to stewed and fried!!!! Never again will there be a Hunt like that!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

WalleyeWayne

The Shebandowan area was thick with them this past summer from Shabaqua Corners to past Kashabowie! Unfortuantely that area will probably be thick with moose hunters now too....but they were everywhere!

randomheroj

I hunted whitefish area from the start or birds till now and haven't seen any rabbits it sucks

brookiebuster

If you dont get any this fall you can still hunt rabbits until June 15. They are really easy to spot when the snow melts in the spring.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Buck 120

I had one run over my feet while I was moose hunting last week.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

fisherdude

Saw two yesterday that were partially white

Mr. Canoehead

I like to snare them in the winter. Ever since I first tried it I've always had a very good sucess rate. Only time I didnt get one was because a big snowfall covered my snares.

Thefishleclair

Rabbit Snaring is one of my Favorite ways to spend the afternoon in the woods. Ya can get a Pile out in no time and also never leave home without the .22!. I think if my Sleds are up and running well this Winter I will runa a rabbit snare line on my trap line, How many do ya think one can put out on 15Km of road??

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest DartonRage2

Saw one today fully white..I've always seen lots on pace lake road haven't been there hunting for 2 or 3 years now tho.

arvey

i've got 2 on 1 of my cameras . watched 1 for quite a while from my stand just a muchin away on my corn. should be nice and fat by the time hunting done .

arvey

scandiman

Seen tonnes of them this fall. Lots up pass lake area (but you'd be disturbing all the big game chasers) and I shot a bunch of them up Magone Road (527 hwy). Seems to be a good number of them running around.....and they're all white right now which makes for easy spotting. Best time is early morning or last hour of day light. Happy hunting.

brookiebuster

Seen a few white ones on pace lake road this weekend.

Guest crankmaster101

Seen a few white ones on pace lake road this weekend.

Easy targets now.. seen lots of the boreal

Guest cm961

Anyone have any advice now that the snow has fallen? I was out at boreal rd last weekend spent the whole day and saw nothing but tracks. Tracks everywhere. Followed them for hours, but didn't see a single bunny. They must just be super hard to see I suppose but any advice greatly appreciated.

Pete

Mr. Canoehead

Anyone have any advice now that the snow has fallen? I was out at boreal rd last weekend spent the whole day and saw nothing but tracks. Tracks everywhere. Followed them for hours, but didn't see a single bunny. They must just be super hard to see I suppose but any advice greatly appreciated.

Pete

Yeah set up some snares! If you're dead set on blasting them you have to go at the rear end crack of dawn or last light.

ghart

set some snares at crack o dawn then walk round come back lateafternoon. or set snares in afternoon and check clear next morning.

wolves/cats like a nice snack too.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Thefishleclair

Bustin bunnies in the Snow is my All time Favorite small game hunting. Nuttin like gettin out in the Cold and pushin bush, Few tips.......

Look for lots of Cover, Pine bows pulled down from snow make wicked dens, Old blow downs, Pushed over hazelnut trees covered in snow.

Next is find where they are feeding, Look for chewed sticks. once you find the combination then you should push up some runners.

Sunny Slops always seem to attract rabbits too, If you are out Mid Day look hard. Binocs help too, I have glassed them with my sope but I prefer to hunt with 12 G and #2 or 4 shot. Most times I end up flushing the Rabbits then crackin em as they are running through the trees.

If you are hunting with a Partner and push one up, Rabbits tend to run in a Wide Circle. Leave the one guy back or send em to chase the critter. 80% of the time it will be back.

Last go just after a fresh snow, Seeing running tracks means you pushed one up, Stop and look after 5 steps. You will see the little black beady eyes!

Winter063.jpg

Winter073.jpg

JaysCameraDump003.jpg

Rabbit.jpg

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Mr. Canoehead

great pics and a nice haul of wabbits! and some solid tips for mid day pushes. thanks for posting.

brookiebuster

Nice pictures!