• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Freenorth20

Recurve Bow, Deer

Freenorth20

Hey Everyone;

I just picked up a 55lb recurve from DNR the other day (awesome service!!!). Its my first bow and i'm completely addicted already, shooting all day in the pouring rain the past few days.

How many of you are traditional hunters? My accuracy is pretty crap right now but I was planning to use it for deer next season if I hone up enough. Might try some rabbit shooting in a few weeks if I can bring my skills up.

brookiebuster

I use both traditional and compound. Traditional archery does take alot of practise to become accurate. I limit my shots with a recurve to 20-25yards. Keep practising untill you can group all your arrows in a pie plate sized target at your max range. Also make sure you're shooting the right spined arrows.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

mooboy76

Congrats!

I haven't hunted with my recurve, mostly because I haven't shot it in 15 years ^_^ . Like Brookiebuster said, practice. Consciously make all your shots feel the same; your string anchor point, your grip on the bow, your breathing, your release. That way you can shoot consistently and make adjustments to be more accurate. If you are going to hunt game, remember to practice with a broadhead (it can be a dulled one) before you go out (with a sharp one). The broadhead tipped arrows might not hit the same spot at your fieldpoints.

Have fun :D

• Like 1

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

Thefishleclair

I got a Martin Sabre in 50LB. Shot it then got decent, Took it bird hunting, I saw lots of grouse, over 30. Only able to shoot at about 10. Last walk I did I shot 4 out of 11! All around the 20 Yard mark, Now when I go for a Walk I take my bow and a few broad heads in the quiver. I stump shoot allot and I find it helps with 1, Judging distance and 2 just getting the feel of it. I use the Instinctive shooting decide my release. I did try the aiming aspect and anchor and breathing then tossed it all out the window. To much stuff to have running around in my head. Now I just see, Pull back and when it feels right I loose all in one motion. It does not work for everyone however I find its the best way I shoot., And shoot Feathers!! I tried the Vanes and scrapped that and bought me a fleatcher and some feathers....Shoots allot better as the feathers have some Give when being released or I think so anyhow!.

Good Luck! Once ya get the Bug its hard to get rid of it!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Freenorth20

Right on, thanks for the pointers. Also, I was on the website for the thunder bay archery club and didnt see a price for the public shooting (non-members) nights, anyone occasionally go who isn't a member?