• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest John1111

Buying ammo in the US

Guest John1111

I have hard mixed stories about bringing back ammo from the states. When I looked online it seems like you can bring back 5000 rounds but I have heard also that you are not allowed to bring back any. Also, if you are allowed o bring ammo across can you bring across handgun ammo too if you have your RPAL? Thanks in advance

Guest hardcorefishn

Hey John,

You are correct in that the Canadian Border Services will allow you to bring up to 5000 rounds across the border, but it's Homeland Security in the US that you have to watch out for. No one is allowed to purchase ammunition in the US for the purposes of export unless you have a permit from the US Government allowing you to export ammunition. I have seen on several occasions where Homelad Security and US Border Patrol have a check station set up as you leave the US, the main question is do you have any ammunition?

Basically, if you take a chance and don't get caught in the US with ammunition, you'll have no issues bringing it across the Canadian border.

hardcorefishn

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

but get caught leaving with it and you face big penalties or having to surrender ammo. and possibly be denied future access to US. not worth the risk imho.

ask a friend to bring it back :D

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest mattyG

I recently purchased Ammo from gander mountain (one box) for my 7mm, not knowing it was ilegal to export it into Canada. There happend to be a check stop on the U.S border side. When the officer asked if we had any guns or ammunition I replied yes thinking it was OK to bring it across. The officer informed me that was not okay. They were really good about it as it was only one box and i didnt lie about it. I had to fill out some paper work and forfit the ammo. But no repocussions. So its deffinetly not legal to bring across the U.S border.

arvey

when I crossed the border a couple of weeks a go , the border guard asked me were I was headed. I told him cabelas in rogers then hinkley. the first thing he mentioned was did I know about buying fire arms and ammunition in the us. I had no intentions of buying either , but he said you would need a permit from the a.t.f. I guess me mentioning cabelas prompted him to think I was buying guns or ammunition.