• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieAlphaLimaEcho

Roadkill Antlers

CharlieAlphaLimaEcho

Hi, I've seen a few deer in ditches over the last few years and never had time to take a good look, but always wondered whether it would be legal to take the antlers? As the animal is already deceased, one would think it is fair game (no pun intended) to harvest the antlers as they would otherwise be wasted. I don't think I would trust taking roadkill as a source of meat as I wouldn't know how long its been out, but I don't have a good pair of rattling antlers, and am interested as to whether you could remove them legally. Thanks,

Cale

Guest MNR

Anytime you acquire wildlife without some form of authority (licence) you require paperwork from the MNR. If you hit a deer on the highway, you can (or someone else can) pick it up but you must report the acquisition within 24hrs to the nearest district office. You will recieve a "Certificate of Reporting".

When you call, you will be required to provide your name, address, phone, species acquired, sex, part of animal being taken, how the wildlife died, (roadkill, hit by train etc), date, time and location.

So yes, you can pick up the antlers but you must report the acqistion and yes deer meat can spoil quickly. If you don't know how long it's been there, best to leave it.