• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Lyle Reiner

Lac Des Mille Lac ice conditions

Jayfishin

We were out a coffin last thursday by truck. good solid 12". 4" of snow...and freakin cold!

Much nice yesterday at whitefish.

Jay

mikejson

Just got back. Between sand and coffin there is only 10 inches... Hundreds of shacks though but the ice reports in this thread dont jive with what I saw today.

Fish were bitin... Good day!

McGinnis_Fishing

I measured 13" out past coffin island.

levi64

Well I hope its 13. Im going out there with a diesel.

Lyle Reiner

Is anyone actually using a tape measure or is this all guesstimates?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

mikejson

My scoop has a ruler on it. Tellin ya... 10" between coffin and sand..

McGinnis_Fishing

Well I hope its 13. Im going out there with a diesel.

Ya we were out there in my dads diesel. No problem at all! And i used a scoop and marked it then measured the scoop.

RJS

I was at Pine Point sunday and I measured 10.5 inches. I fished in front of the resort where all the shacks are. I measured a couple of spots and it's definitely 10.5 inches of solid ice. Fishing was good.

levi64

Anyone hear about the pick up with the box full of firewood going for a swim last week

Lyle Reiner

Ive talked to a bunch of people who have been driving on all week and didnt hear of anyone? If they did, they must have not stayed right at Sand Point haha.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Domer

Hey went through in poplar bay. Went thru up to the cab of the truck and escaped out the window. Was pulled out eventually. All confirmed by gary

McGinnis_Fishing

I dont trust gary. He tol me someone went through but didnt give details and it was right after he said to make sure to go slow. So it seemed to me like he was trying to scare us to make sure we drove slow.

levi64

Well he showed me the picture. By Popular Point, box loaded with firewood and through the ice.

McGinnis_Fishing

Where abouts is popular point? And anyone know how much ice was there?

levi64

Where abouts is popular point? And anyone know how much ice was there?

Just West of Coffin Island.

Foozer

The only time I drove on to Lac this winter was a couple weeks ago. With Gary's attitude, I think it'll also be the last.

He mentioned one truck had gone through around Christmas time. A truck loaded with wood broke through in Poplar Bay.

So far that's the only vehicle I've heard of breaking the ice.

If another has gone through, I would be curious as to where. We were fishing near Birsh Island with plenty of ice. Three rednecks even parked their diesels, and F350's all together without any problems.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Lyle Reiner

I drove from pine point to Gary's a couple weeks ago. Lots if ice

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

mikejson

I wouldn't be surprised if someone went through... this last weekend I saw 3-4 trucks doing at least 100km/hr on the ice after Sand point(between sand and gary's you'd rattle your truck to pieces doing 100 there).

I know why Gary says "go slow" about 10 times before I pass his garage... some people are just stupid on the ice.

Buck 120

For any of you who have not watch "Ice Road Truckers", driving slow is necessary as the water under the ice moves as a wave, kind of like a hydraulic providing more support to the weight. If you drive too fast you can get ahead of that wave and crash through. in addition when approaching a pressure ridge, if the wave is moving too fast, it can cause ice break up.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

McGinnis_Fishing

Ya some idiots are driving way too fast! I understand it can be hard with it being a long straight away but lots of guys are just being as*****s.

Lyle Reiner

Most I've done on the ice was 45 and I thought I was pushing it lol

I just found out that parking side by side is idiotic too lol. Won't do that again

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

WalleyeWayne

We fished Reserve Bay last weekend and it was told to us that a truck went through where the pressure ridge is. Supposedly early January...? As for Gary, yah he was grumpy and told us to keep the speed down, but from what I saw there were several trucks that thought they were on the Audobon! We drove on Saturday morning aftert the slush had tightened up, but there were many large cracks running across the ice road that were probably a result of ice buckling. A few of them were 2" wide! There was a lot of slush ruts so we were only doing about 15mph which is fine by me!

Foozer

I read an article last year about an ice fishing derby in Wisconsin. They allowed spectators to park on the ice, and they line up like in a parking lot. 40 something vehicles went through.

It was only a couple feet deep where they were, and only a couple were completely submerged, but Jeez.....silly Americans.......why would they do that on ice?

If I can fine the article, I'll attach a link.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....