• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

prop Q's

this is my first boat that goes faster on the water than on the trailer.

150 FICHT on an 18ft bass boat.

whats a good start? anyone else running a v6 etec, Rude/johnson or ficht on a bass hull?

any chance of 60mph on a 4 blade ss?

it runs 57mph on an aluminum 24p 3 blade.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Dale Gaudry

What year is the motor? What kind of boat? Transom setback? What RPM's are you running? If your running 57 with an aluminum prop then I'd say 60 is a possibility. Not more than 63. Can't help you out with out knowing the details

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

Trevor Zimak

+1

If you're looking for pure top end, you must have a jackplate, preferably at least a 6'' set back. My guess would be to start with a 23P stainless and go from there. As Dale mentioned, there is not enough info to give you some kind of educated answer.

Based on the info you have provided, I can't even give you a guess as to what kind of speed are likely to see. Other considerations include hull weight and width and the amount of gear and options you will likely carry.

I say options because I know when I upgrade to a 24V trolling motor on my other boat, it was much heavier at the bow and because I needed to now ran another battery, it totally changed the way the boat rode. Moral... I lost about 2mph. Anyways this is getting away from your original post.

Like Dale and I mentioned... more details are needed.

- Zimmers

ill get more details and pictures once a get it in garage and get a list of whats toys it needs, but the manual 6 inch plate will be first thing on as it is the cheapest.

Sadly wont get any water time till spring. So wot rpm and speed is just hearsay from prev owner

i just want some speed for when its just 2 guys in the boat especially on tourney days,

family days i have a few 19 pitch props i will use

Dale Gaudry

Many of use have had experience with boats of our own. I'm sure we can help. Just starting with the engine boat combination would help. Trevor is right. In most cases your probably going to be looking at a 3 blade 23 pitch based on the 18 foot bass boat 150 ficht mentioned above.

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

ha thanks guys, dealer called last week to tell me boat was sold and they refunded my deposit , Dinks.

anyways back on Craigslist now searching,

This cash is burning a hole in my pocket

my search is done. scored a 20ft nitro 205 sport with a 200 efi merc.

just waiting compression test numbers then dealer is changing water pump, the battery charger and packaging it up for me

1700lbs hull weight and runs 58mph at 5800 rpm on a 23p laser 2 prop full of water and fuel, motor mounted 1st hole up.

which is 14% slip.

so do i try a 4blade for lift or 23p tempest. dont really want to go through 3 or 4 props to find the right one.

hoping somone running similar weight and hp

vp2866865_8_large.jpg

vp2866865_6_large.jpg

WalleyeWayne

Congrats Ryan on your new ride. No advice on props or jack-plates, but my suggestion is you don't change much til you run it with weight you expect to carry tourney day (i.e. full gas tank, full live wells, two bodies, etc.). That big motor is gonna gulp so I would suggest you discover a setting that coincides with those factors and then determine how to economize from there. I only have a 150hp, but discovered that fuel economy was best @ 3/4 throttle with tourney morning weight. Took me 2 minutes more to reach upper shebs (from lower shebs) at 3/4 throttle, but saved probly $20 in fuel). Have fun with your new investment, it looks great!

ya it could get spendy running WOT all day.

im hoping to have a prop for family days/ pre fishing /rough water that has decent low speed control and mpg . probably just a 4 blade aluminum or a plastic.

but i want opinions a screamer that can lift that hull up on pad and get some speed for tourney days.

luc

Talk,with Derek Campbell,just ask him were he bought his prop he got a good one . he can help you probably.good luck by the way, nice boat.

luc

Trevor Zimak

6'' jackplate and a 23 tempest will get you a few more mph (3-5), but you're looking at close to a $1000 bucks for it.

- Zimmers

Dale Gaudry

Nitro hulls really like Tempest props. Talk nice to my Dad and maybe you can try his spare 23 Tempest. He runs a Blueprinted Tempest on his. we've tried several props on his boat both the with the 150 XR6 and the 150 ETEC. 59 - 63mph depending on load. Campbell runs a 4 blade prop on his and I'll agree, there boat also runs faster than most 150's. Tempest props have more rake than the Laser and will provide more bow lift. Remember, the fastest prop you can find is also the most efficient prop. At any speed.

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

I actually pulled the trigger on the tempest. But not tested yet obviously. I may bolt a manual plate on but want to see how it runs first. This winter I thought I would have a month on the water before tournaments to play with the setup butthat is not the case

I'm hoping for 62 -64. Without jackplate , 1 st bass meet may be her first run sadly , oh well.

WalleyeWayne

1st bass meet might not be til June the way its going. Prep for the FLWC instead.

So I may need more prop, boat rips to 55 them climbs to 59 gps @5800 RPM. I kept running out of river. with enough water maybe a few more mph to be had with this 23p tempest.

Speedo showed almost 70 :)

Squaretail

Is that fully loaded gas live wells etc. if you go to a 25 pitch it will put you at 5500 wot. A 25 will be a lot more sluggish out of the hole though.

livewells half, fuel full 40 gallons, all my gear 2 guys, 2nd biggest vent plugs on prop. jumps on plane

WalleyeWayne

Glad you like your new ride Ryan!

Dale Gaudry

I disagree with Squaretail. Don't worry about the RPM's. That's right where they should be. The river has an elevation of 804ft above sea level compared with most of the lakes in our area that are 1200- 1500ft. Combine that with the cold air temp and water temp and your right where you need to be. In August you will be struggling to pull 5200-5300RPM's. If you buy a 25P you will be selling in in 4 months. Been There Done That!

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

Squaretail

I didn't say go to a 25 pitch. I said a 25 pitch will drop you 300 and allow for a poor holeshot even with a vented prop as the tempest is. Two many people don't account for running weight ex. Someone goes to test there boat out and has only one person and no gear and live wells empty. When a prop is tested the rig should be in as used condition. The 23 is more then enough prop for that boat. Your better off to be at 5500-5800 then less then 5500rpm at wot those motors don't like to be overproped as they will have powerhead issues.

i will see how it does next run, to me it just feels way to snappy and accelerates effortless, so i think a bigger prop may stil peg 5800, i was still accelerating on gps past 5800rpm.

once i get on the lake and actually have a few miles to play with it im sure i will get some better numbers. running it on kam was just spanking it and triming it out till i heard exhaust note change, i didnt really get a chance to play with trim on that 1 mile stretch .

and im fairly certain i had it over trimmed after looking at pictures lol

post-499-0-77492900-1368622856_thumb.jpg

found a 4 blade trophy plus 24 p and a 24p tempest plus i can try,

starting thursday i got 5 days @ lac with the boys to play with boat.

first run felt strong so we will see how that 2.5 liter spins a 24p 4 blade.

If the summer heat means i can't spin it then i can always change it back to the 23