• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

Rifle Winter Project

naden

Thought I would post some pics of my winchester m88 in .308. It was made in 1959 and I have been hunting with it every weekend for about 10 years. The original walnut stock was in great shape as is the rifle blueing but unfortunetly the stock cracked at the back of the rear recoil lug through the grip area. This was a common problem on these guns. I purchased a semi inlet brown laminate stock from boyds gun stocks in the states. The stock required a lot of fit and finishing as the action would not even start to go into the stock when I received it and was about 1/8 inch too large around the receiver top and bottom. After a ton of of filing and sanding I was able to fit the receiver and rear recoil lug into the stock. A lot of fitting and material removal was required in the areas around the rear recoil lug, grip cap, around the magazine and magazine release as well as underneath the lever. None of the holes were drilled for the sling studs or barrel bolt so I had to hand drill and counterbore these holes. I opened up the barrel channel a bit and glass bedded around the barrel bolt and under the chamber. The rest of the barrel is free floated. I also shortened the stock by 1 1/4 inches and installed a grind to fit limbsaver pad for an overall length of pull that is 1/4 inch shorter than stock. I finished the stock using a hand rubbed oil finish. I must admit I am pretty pleased with the results but I still have to buff out a few blemishes from the finish. I would like to find a winchester m100 to restock as well. I havnt shot it yet but will try to in the next few weeks to see if accuracy has improved.

The first pic shows the original stock next to my blr also in .308, 2nd pic is the unfinished stock after I was able to fit the action into it, and the third pic shows the fully assembled rifle with the new stock after about 4 or 5 coats of oil

post-701-0-93828100-1357715215_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-09744800-1357715309_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-66477100-1357715383_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-29444500-1357715862_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-93588500-1357716090_thumb.jpg

dano

The rifle looks great! What did you use for the bedding? Where did you order the stock from?

naden

The rifle looks great! What did you use for the bedding? Where did you order the stock from?

Thanks! I ordered the stock from a company called boyds gun stocks and the bedding is a miles gilbert bedrock kit from midway usa. Bedding was my least favorite part of the project.....hard to work with and lots of clean up after.

Bear

Looks really nice, hope its a great shooter.

Bear

naden

I put a few rounds through it today.....put 8 shots into a 6 inch bullseye at approx 60 to 70 yards with open sights off the hood of the truck. Looking forward to having a scope on it again I think the accuracy has improved. Any recommendations for scopes Ive heard a lot of good things about the burriss fullfield but I think I might stick with a leupold.