• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Garbie

Ice Hut Alcohol Consumption

Garbie

With all of the talk about drinking on the ice I would like to know what the real answer. To my understanding the hut needs to fit the requiements of a residence, ie sleeping and cooking facilities. But why the cooking facilities? Are you not allowed to pack a lunch? or have a bunch of sandwiches? Am I not allowed to use a fire to cook my food? It seems to me all that should be requried is a place to "sleep it off". If cooking facilities are really required and a fire is not considered that, what about in summer when outdoorsmen are out in the bush in only a tent and a fire to cook with, are they consuming alchol illegally? Don't get me wrong I understand the bigger picture is to prevent impaired driving and I am all for that, just want to make sure my practices are legal.

Guest MNR

The rules around possession and consumption of alcohol are found in the Liquor Licence Act. While Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officers enforce sections of this Act, the Ontario Provincial Police are the lead agency in the province when it comes to enforcement of the Liquor Licence Act on our lakes and rivers. Their position on alcohol consumption in ice fishing huts is that consuming alcohol in an ice hut is illegal unless the ice hut contains legitimate sleeping and cooking facilities (i.e., those found in on-ice bungalows).

If you have any further questions on this topic, please contact your local Ontario Provincial Police detachment.