• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

Tikka vs Sako and 30.06 vs 7 mm

Buck 120

Well with another one of my sons reaching the age of 15, I will need to purchase another high powered rifle. I am thinking between a Tikka and Sako in a 30.06 with Synthetic stock and Stainless Steel for big game deer and moose.

The reason I chose 30.06 is I have another in the same calibre and it would be easier with ammo, etc. I have a buddy that is trying to convince me to go with a 7MM for longer distance accuracy. However most of the hunting I do is within 100 yards or even close quarter bush shooting.

First question is the Sako worth the extra thousand bucks? I realize that over the lifetime of a rifle, the cost is minimal, however one still has to fork out that kind of dough.

What do others recommend 30.06 or 7 mm and why?

I am also thinking of 3X9X40 scope in a Bushnell or Vortex. What have others found to work well?

Any comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

my long winded opinionopinion

firstly on caliber

7mag will offer less recoil with 150's than an 06 with 180's, yet offer more energy and velocity with a slightly smaller hole .308 inches vs .284 inches(before expansion of course).

penetration is determined by sectional density,a ratio of length to diameter. and since 7 mag is smaller caliber it can achieve an ideal density with less bullet length so less weight.

as for accuracy both are equal as every caliber shoots straight provided bullet and barrel are good.

7 mag has the edge for shooting flatter and can be sighted in for a 300+ yard point blank (meaning cross-hairs centered on vitals any distance between 0-300 yards and it will hit vitals) where as the 06 sits closer to 200 and a bit.

The 06 will do very well with cheaper bullets due to lower impact velocities, where as the 7mm should be loaded with premiums . so call it $45 a box if you don't handload vs $22 in the 30-06. but well worth the extra $$$ when the kid touches a shoulder on 1100lb bull.

sako vs tikka,

sako may shoot groups the size of a dime where as tikka quarter in the hands of a competent shooter and solid rest .I shoot 200 rounds a season and cant get my sako or tikka to group much under an inch.

sako has a better finish (no pun), and better materials all around. sako nicer to look at hold and wield

my sako wears a 3-9 leupold and is transported in a case,

my tikka rides on the front rack of my atv, wears a fixed 4x burris , camo stock and tape over barrel to keep mud out.

sako also has a 3 way safety so it can be loaded with safety on, and claims to have controlled round feed but they really dont (long sotry), sako also makes a true short action, where as tikka just shortens bolt travel to accommodate shorter cartridges .

Either of these guns will outlive me and my kids.

my vote 7 mag t3 stainless

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Buck 120

Thanks 12many, I appreciate the response.

SherpaJ

I'm not sure if it has changed, but my barrel/chamber and bolt on my 30-06 tikka t3 lite stainless both have the sako emblem engraved right on them. The only true difference is the stock, otherwise it's all made by sako. With that in mind, the tikka bolts are double lugged while the sako bolts are triple lugged, which only makes a difference if you're hand loading compressed loads.

I have the leupold canadian 3-9x40 mounted on it which has a custom ballistics turret for the ammo I shoot(upto 600yards). So I just range the distance, dial the scope to that yardage mark, and she shoots right where the crosshairs fall. At 600 yards I have no problem hitting a deers vital sized target with a solid rest.

When I bought it, I was 15 as well, and thought it kicked like an absolute mule! However I was barely 5 feet tall and well under 100 pounds. Firing ten shots ruined my shoulder for about a week, and I could feel the scope touch my eyebrow every time (never leaving a mark though) but it never kept me from shooting it frequently.That same year I shot my first animal with it, a caribou, I never noticed the recoil when I shot, in fact, I became used to the recoil within a couple years to the point where it doesn't bother me at alI.

I have since weighted down the stock by placing a couple small metal rods it and filling with spray foam. The spray foam actually takes away the hollow sound and feel, the difference is quite surprising when you hold it.

I personally hate bushnell, although I know that they do have some good scopes, I've just had two too many bad experiences with them. All my rifles are fixed with leupolds, although vortex are very reliable and decent quality scopes for the price. I had the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 side-by-side the Leupold Canadian 3-9x40 and the vortex had great clarity, but the leupold was still slightly more crisp an image. Just MHO.

naden

I know most people will disagree with me but Im not a fan of light weight (synthetic stocked) guns, most I have handled feel cheap in my hands but more importantly they tend to have a lot of recoil especially for a 15 year old. Like sherpa said when he was a teenager he thought his kicked like a mule which in my opinion is a recipe for developing a flinch which affects accuracy. A 30-06 or 7mm mag shouldnt kick like a mule. However I have done some shooting with a friends browning xbolt synthetic in 30-06 that I didnt think it kicked much at all.

Both 30-06 and 7mm are good calibers and 12many pretty much summed all that up. However you mentioned that most of your hunting is done at 100 yards or less and even close quarter bush hunting so I think the 30-06 would be a better choice. To me close quarter bush hunting lends itself to short action calibers and rifles that actually have shorter receivers for faster handling. If it were me I'd get a .308 or 7mm-08 and have your son shoot it all day untill he can drive tacks with it and when he gets older or decides to start hunting longer distances he can always upgrade to a higher powered rifle, but if your stuck on a long action calibre 30-06 would be my vote.

dano

First off, tikka only has two things going for them, Sako barrels and phuck all.

Also the 3006 will do everything the 7 mag will do, because animals don't die from "foot pounds " and no you don't have to buy premium bullets for either. Yeah a 7mag may shoot a little flatter but really it isn't that much. I started hunting with a 6.5x55 and now hunt with a 3006. And unless your son has been shooting lots with a 3006 or 7 mag it might not be the cartridge I would want to start with, just because of the recoil.

I would look at the 7mm-08 or the 6.5 x 55 (sako and tikka chamber this cartridge) both are great hunting cartridges and will kill anything that we have around here.

Buck 120

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, the new gun is for me LOL! He can use my 30.06 semi Remington or On my 375 model 94 lever action Winchester.

Has anyone had any luck with the Nikon Bushmaster scopes? Are the a good scope?

Dale Gaudry

I own a Tikka T3 synthetic stock stainless barrel with a Burris Fullfield II scope and would recommend it to anyone. Great gun for the money. I use Federal Premium Nossler Accubond ammo. Why not use a premium shell? You only need 1.

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

Hurketthunter

I have a sako .270 that I really like, it's one of my go to guns. My wife has a tikka in 7mm-08 and it's very accurate but it just doesn't feel right to me. If you have the money I would suggest going with the sako, you will never look back and say "damn I should have gotten the tikka instead" you might not be able to say the same if you buy the tikka. This is just my opinion of course, look at both guns, handle them for a while and then buy the one that feels best to you. Good luck.

Hurketthunter

Buck 120

Thanks for the replies.

Guest mucky

I think if you do some readings you will find that this topic seems to come up endlessly over the 7mm vs 30-06. For the most part these to calibers are very close in relationship. So, im thinking this is going to turn out to be a chevy vs ford type debate. The 7mm is going to have the faster, flatter shooting gun with less drop. The 06 is going to have more knock down/hitting power, bigger hole and MUCH more types / availability of ammunition and would allow you to use a higher weight. There isnt a sporting goods store you will go to that does not carry 30-06 rounds. So, for you from what you stated above, if your hunting in approx 100yrds the 30-06 is the choice I would go with. But in saying that I dont think a moose or deer is going to be able to tell you which one is better after the smoke clears :P

As for the type of gun. I had just purchase a new bolt action rifle and the sako and tikka were at the top of my list. In the end I went with the browning x-bolt as the rifle of choice, have you had a chance to look into them? I was not partial to browning at all going into the purchase as I have never shot one. I dont mean to offend anyone but the tikka to me felt cheap in my hand. I had fired a 30-06 tikka before and it kicked like a mule. My synthetic xbolt 30-06 kicks less then my friends lever action 303. There were features like the top tang safety, 4 bolt mouting for the scope, bolt release button that allows the gun to be unloaded with the safety on, inflex recoll pad (which is amazing), amazing smooth trigger system with almost no creap felt that did it for me. The browning price falls in between the tikka and the sako and might be worth a look. Problem is they are super hard to find. If you want you can PM me and shoulder mine if you want.

I think that your going to have to go out and hold each gun and shoulder them yourself. You can listen to hundreds of people suggesting what they like but in the end its going to be what feels good to you.

Guest mucky

I put the burris fullfeild II on my x-bolt. It has worked well for me so far as everything that I have pointed and sqeezed the trigger at is now in my freezer.

Buck 120

Thanks Mucky

Bottom Bouncer

Well I've owned Sakos and Tikkas and Winchester,Browning,Savage,Remington. I have owned bolts,pumps,autos,levers. Also various calibers, 270,308,30-06, 7mm, 300 Weatherby. Leopold,Burris and Nikon. I have pretty much thrown in the towel on big game hunting and haven't hunted moose in 7 years. Deer hunting has gotten me out about 3 times a year over the past 6-7 years but there was a time when I lived and breathed the fall big game season. I think this was my last season for big game as I passed on several deer and was happy to do so. That being said I have always had a favorite caliber,scope and gun manufacturer. I have yet to have a son that has tried to drag me back out for Moose and the first two haven't any ambition but maybe the next two will but that chapter is a few pages away. Anyway the gun of my choice for me has always been the Sako 7mm with 160 grain Noslers and a 2x7 Leopold VX3 followed closely buy my Sako 300 Weatherby with 180 grain Noslers . Both Bolts both Wood and the scope always on 2 power. Good Luck

REELBAIT

Buck 120

Thanks BB

Buck 120

So I made a decision and went with a Tikka T3 synthetic stock, stainless LH bolt in 30.06. Looked all over town and nobody had one. Most could not guarantee they could even get one from the distributor. I ordered from Lebaron for $848.97 which is actually the best price I could find in Canada! I also ordered Optilock low rings and base.

For those with a Tikka or Sako did you go with a stock base and rings or order another? Now to decide on glass for it. At least the glass I can take my time.

SherpaJ

Very nice choice! I have the identical Rifle! :lol: It took me almost a year to find my rifle, called every gun store in ontario almost biweekly, finally got it from SIR mail order (before it sucked and became cabelas canada). I think I paid the same price. Nice thing about SIR was that is was only 7% tax and no shipping fees.

I have the optilock rings on mine with a Leupold Vx-II canadian 3-9X40 CDS, but in hindsight wish I went with a more powerful scope, ideally 4.5-14x50.

Buck 120

Nice. Thanks for the post Sherpa.

NorthwestHunter

So I made a decision and went with a Tikka T3 synthetic stock, stainless LH bolt in 30.06. Looked all over town and nobody had one. Most could not guarantee they could even get one from the distributor. I ordered from Lebaron for $848.97 which is actually the best price I could find in Canada! I also ordered Optilock low rings and base.

For those with a Tikka or Sako did you go with a stock base and rings or order another? Now to decide on glass for it. At least the glass I can take my time.

Well, as for glass...there is almost too many options.

I am a huge Leupold fan, with that being said I shot a Burris for years without issues.

Redfield is also cranking out some super nice scopes for the money...and since redfield is owned and manufactured by Leupold your getting a quality scope.

I've sold a lot of different scopes over the years at DnR, and one scope I would reccomend to stay away from is the Bushnell line-up.

Some guys really like them, but most of the warranty returns we've had were Bushnells...in my opinion anyways.

If that wasnt confusing enough, Vortex also makes a nice scope.

If you come by the store Sunday I can give you an honest run down of a lot of different scopes.

-Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Buck 120

Sounds good, thanks Paul!