• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Spinepike

Camping Permits for ice fishing?

Guest Spinepike

Hello, I was wondering if a camping permit would be required for a non-resident spending the night in an ice shack on a lake.

I would guess one wouldn't be required if renting a shack from an outfitter/business. How about if I were to stay in a shack owned by a friend of mine who is a Canadian resident, and wasn't paying any money for staying in the shack?

Thank You.

Guest MNR

Non-residents who are 18 years of age or older require a permit to camp on Crown lands north of the French and Mattawa Rivers, unless they are using a camping unit rented from a commercial outfitter in Ontario or own real property in Ontario. A camping unit is defined as equipment used for the purpose of outdoor accommodation and includes a tent, trailer, tent-trailer, recreational vehicle, camperback and any watercraft equipped for overnight accommodation.

If you are camping in a friends hut on ice you will need a Crown land camping permit which can be obtained from most Ontario fishing licence issuers, and you must follow the Conservation Fishing Licence limits if you are fishing in Fisheries Management Zones 2, 4, 6 and Zone 5(except in the border waters areas where different limits apply to non-residents). The following link http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_165432.html provides more information on the Crown Land camping rules and the location of the Border Waters area.

There are areas in Northern Ontario where non-residents of Canada are not allowed to camp on Crown land. These areas are referred to as "Green Zones". The following link illustrates where these areas are located.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_178730.html (Green Zones)

In summary, if you wish to use your own ice hut to camp on ice, you are allowed to do this as long as you are not in the parts of Northern Ontario designated as a Green Zone. You will require a Crown Land Camping Permit for the areas outside of the Green Zones. If you are in Fisheries Management Zones 2, 4, 6 and the parts of Zone 5 that are not in the Border Waters Area, you are restricted to Conservation Fishing Licence limit.