• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

shallow water boating

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i read a few interesting article regarding shallow water and rough water tricks for boat operation that i would have honestly never thought of.

i figured i would share some of these

• turning left during hole shot will decrease plane time as you are turning counter to rotation of prop (boat tries to roll to right during hole shot) getting boat to plane on chine or pad quicker
  • turning sharp on plane while shallow lifts lower unit as boat rides more on side so props is closer to surface decreasing chance of touching sand or bottom
  • when attempting hole shot in shallow going on and off the throttle to create a wave behind boat, then try to plane wihle riding wave you just made( also turn slightly to left if possible)
  • when running on plane through vegetation more trim and less speed allows weeds to slide off lower unit as motor is at more an angle
  • when coming off plane in shallow water trim up as you slow down to avoid touching bottom
  • trim down when crossing a wake to avoid jumping first wake and spearing second. then trim up once bow breaks first wake
  • when running in chop 1.5-3ft trim down to get v of bow to cut waves(yes even you old tiller can trim down by moving pin closer to transom)
  • when running into waves hit them at a 45deg angle not head on
  • when running with big waves ,ride back of wave keeping bow up
  • greatest risk of sinking a fishing boat is jumping a wave and having bow fall and spear next wave, slowing boat to a stop and trailing wave fills you with water

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

All good stuff Ryan! In any situation keep the bow high and stern low and throttle to ensure you keep it that way in rough seas. 45 degree angle is a good practice when busting high waves (especially the sister waves), but you can go head on in rough water with consistent speed as long as you keep the bow high (keep boat weight centered). Trim up as you power down in shallow water helps to prevent possible prop scrubbing, as well as helping to ensure the powerhead isn't flooded with backwash. If you have a forward livewell, fill it for stability as you cut through high swells. One of your greatest risks of taking on water is not looking for, and understanding, what a "sister wave" will do to your bow if you dip too low. My boat is only 18.5ft, and we have a cottage on Rainy Lake, and know how swells can cause you some grief when running blow-ups.