• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luckmedic

First Shotgun Purchase

luckmedic

Hey folks, I come from a non-hunting family and was hoping I could get some advice from some of you. This will be my 4th season shooting bow and I've been fairly successful shooting grouse, rabbits and even a couple city deer but I think it's time that I finally get myself a nice pump-action shotgun and there's just so many options out there.

I'll explain where my head is at currently. My main use for the gun will be grouse and rabbits, but I would like to have the option to throw in a slug in case I see a nice buck when I'm out for small game (or if it's too cold for my bow). I'd also like to have the option for a slug for protection from bears at the lake or out tenting.

I've pretty much made up my mind on either a 12 or 20 ga, and looking mostly at the Benelli Nova and the Remington 870 Wingmaster (leaning towards a 20 ga Wingmaster to be honest). I'm favouring the 20 ga just for the reduced kick and a tad lighter walking through the bush, but I'm a bit concerned that I'll regret the lack of power if I need to toss a rifled slug at something. For the $750ish price tag of a Wingmaster, I really don't want to have any regrets.

I'm going to check around town and shoulder a few to see how they feel, then I'll be heading to Cabela's in Minneapolis soon to shoulder anything that isn't in stock in town. I'll be ordering in town soon after that (gotta support the local guys). I guess my main question would be is 12 ga too much gun or will a Mod or Full choke and the right shot size save the bird from being demolished? Will a 20 suffice as a full time small game gun with the odd slug put through it?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Lucky

:smiley-sport020:If you wanna blow smoke, go have a dart. :fishing:

Hurketthunter

I actually own both the wingmaster and the benelli super nova and like both guns, the best thing you can do is shoulder both and buy the one that feels best to you. My wingmaster is an older one and has very nice wood and excellent blueing, its very appealing to look at. The benelli on the other hand is all function, synthetic stock, camo finish and 3.5 inch mag. As to your question about the 20 gauge yes it can handle all that you want it to. I shoot 12 gauge because I often hunt geese and ducks but if it was only grouse and rabbits on my list then I would have no problems hunting with the 20 gauge. Hope this helped and good luck with your purchase.

Buck 120

I use a 12 guage Remington 870 Express with a laminate stock. I don't find the kick to be too much, in fact my teenage kids shoot it regularly. I would suggest going with the 12 guage as it is more versitile. I shoot grouse with it all the time and the bird is not demolished as long as you hit it in the head.

The 870 has been around for some time and takes a beating. For me tracking through brush and trees, etc, I found the laminate to take more of a beating. With the wingmaster I think I would be more hesitant to get it scratched, etc.

On the other hand, my buddy has a Benelli Nova and loves it as well. Like Hurkethunter said your best bet is to shoulder them and see what fits :)

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest ratherfishthanwork

Bought my 12ga Remington 870 from Zellers in Timmins in 1979 and is one of my favorite firearms I own, thousands of shells and miles on it and still almost looks brand new. Have no experience with a Benelli Nova but love my 870.

Guest dragonslayer

410 is definitely not a bigginer gun as far as accuracy goes

12g is your most versitle choice for all Scenarios...

As mentioned by others on here and very good advise, is to SHOULDER the gun and make sure you do "snap" shouldering not just bringing the gun to your shoulder... SNAP shouldering will give you a more realistic feel and placement as to where the gun will hit once shoulderd. I would aslo suggest wearing a heavier jacket to more simulate what you would be weraing in the field when hunting...

those are my thoughts and opinoins

luckmedic

Thanks everyone, I definitely have some things to think about. Nice to hear that reliability isn't an issue with either of the two.

JustMe, I have thought about a .410 and eventually I will probably get a break-action for light walks in the bush, but right now I need a more versatile firearm.

Thanks again,

Lucky

:smiley-sport020:If you wanna blow smoke, go have a dart. :fishing:

Davis Viehbeck

When grouse hunting with a 12 gauge just scale back to a lighter 2 3/4" load. Most shotguns come with interchangeable chokes. I would recommend to stick with a gun that offers these to give you some versatility.

In my opinion a .20 ga slug is really limited to very close range. Sounds like a 12 gauge might be a better option.

canadianyanke

I recently was in the market for a new pump shot gun for waterfowl and from the research i did prior to buying the consensus was Benelli Supernova best shotgun on the market. The 870 since 1990's has gone down hill and lots of people said they were having issues with the new remington's. I liked the idea that with the benelli supernova i could shoot anything from 2 3/4 to 3.5 inch loads and i havent had any problems with it so far. the benelli also can be assembled disassembled in seconds. Another option for you that ill throw out there is the Mossberg 500. I own this gun and its a good starter shotgun. mine shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells and came with a slug barrel along with the standard barrel. The only issue i had with it is that everything seems to be loose and have lots of play in it. like the action and the stock.

heres a quote from a shotgun forum when someone asked the same question about 870's

every person who has bought an 870(ESM) in the past ten years has had multiple problems. Failure to extract, failure to eject, failure to load from mag, double feed, no feed, out of spec chambers, out of spec extractors. They send them to R, they come back with new problems(plus old ones). I have never seen a more problematic pump shotgun than a 2000's era 870 express super mag. A lemon of those is one that works. As far as 50 years goes, can you explain to me why every year they get cheaper?

AB

DS is correct, you are going to be happiest with the gun that fits you best.

That being said, when you go to the shop to try them on, see if either gun comes with shims. This will allow you to adjust the cast off and drop to suit your physical characteristics.

I have an 870 Express - Pre 2000. I love it.

Looking at the Benelli Nova, it certainly has its own charms....

happy hunting!

iceman