• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xf800

Anyone have pointers on getting a .22

xf800

Hello

I have just got my PAL this year and I was thinking about getting my first firearm. I am not too sure what to get I am leaning towards a new or used .22. I think this would be a good first starter gun? I would like to use it for target shooting to get a feel for the gun and possibly use it for bird hunting in the fall. Down the road I would consider maybe mounting a scope on it for birds? I have looked online for .22’s but I have no clue what is a good deal and what type is more popular. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for me, or is able in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks

Stephen

xf800

Hi

I am a little unsure on the type of .22 like bolt,semi or single shot. Most people have told me to get a bolt action if I want accuracy or a semi if I want to have fun. So I am leading towards a bolt action .22. The one .22 that online and people suggest is the Ruger 10/22. Is there any other models or types that I should look into? Also I am left handed so this might limit my search.

Stephen

Guest mucky

I could be wrong, but im pretty sure that the ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto rifle. I know that that modle of rifle has been around for some time know is one of the most popular/purchased .22 cal in north america. I have heard good things about it and was thinking about getting a 10/22 take down LR myself.

naden

lots of accessories available for 10/22 very popular rifle

Skol_Vikings

The Ruger 10/22 is a great first firearm. I got my PALS a couple years ago and thats what I started with. Bullets are cheap and it will give you good practice for your accuracy. You could also get extended mags so you don't have to reload as much. "Steel Lips" magazines hold 25 rounds. Put a scope on it then your set for birds as well.

xf800

Thanks for the feedback. I have one more question where, is the best place to pick up the Ruger 10/22 or a firearm? Any local dealer that is highly recommended or an online site, but I rather keep it local.

Thanks,

Stephen

Skol_Vikings

Check with DNR. They are usually pretty good and can be flexible on the price if you ask nicely. Otherwise, Cabelas.ca is the place to go.

Guest mucky

You are going to have little to no success finding a 10/22 right now. I know that DNR is sold out of them at this point. They have an order of rugers coming in so I was told but not sure how many 10/22, if any, they are going to get. Also there are non in town at this point. I recently purchased a firearm from "wolverinesupplies" and they were great to deal with, you could look there. Cabelas is sold out in canada at this point too.

xf800

Thanks for all the information and the heads up on the Ruger 10/22.

Thanks,

Stephen

Buck 120

Also locally is GMK 346-4088 or Pritchards 344-4423.

I just order a left handed 30.06 from lebarons.ca

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

sport

ruger 10/22 also comes in a bolt action. much more expensive than the semi..look at a lever action such as browning , henry , marlin etc..lever action can handle all 3 types of .22's--short-long-long rifle ..all depends on your budget ..

also try wholesalesports.ca

also look at some online .22 forums for more information .. i currently own several .22's in all actions and models mentioned .

have fun !

xf800

I went with a semi auto marlin 60 got a scope on it from DNR was pretty happy with the service I got. I have had the gun since late may and only fired it a few times but so far I am pretty happy with it only time will tell.

Thanks for all the information

Stephen