• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Weekend coaster

Silver harbour/ Mckenzie river mouth

Weekend coaster

Dear board members

I was wondering if anybody knew how's the fishing and ice conditions been at mckenzie bay or silver harbour

Thanks weekend coaster

bin fishin lots

Was out yesterday with only one laker in 6 hrs. Ice is about 30 inches just past st.marys island.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

If you go out in front of mckenzie bay, you'll have a better chance I think. I do anyway, south of bacon island, lots of whities in 28 and lakers in 60. Silver Harbour is always hit and miss.

Brodie K.

Weekend coaster

Yeah just got back from silver harbour saw 1 herring and many smelts caught nothing 20 inches where I was

Weekend coaster

How much ice is in mckenzie bay?

Same as silver harbour, i didnt go super close to the river mouth though.

Brodie K.

Weekend coaster

Thanks

Are whitefish and lakers all the species that you guys are catching at mckenzie bay

bin fishin lots

Did silver harbour again this mornin as well. No lakers! Fished 60 fow, 80 fow and 100 fow. March is usually the time out there?????

There is never really a great time at silver harbour. I've fished it 50+ times and a fish or two is a good day. That's all you will usually catch, whities and lakers, anything else is luck, you may get a steelhead but thats a combination of being in the right place at the right time. I've got one speck this winter 22 inches, also not common, but they're in the lake.

Brodie K.

Pound 4 Pound

Number four williams wobbler silver and gold with a half a smelt tail end works wonders for lakers at silver harbour but you have to go out pretty far try to find 90 to 100 FOW and jig it right off bottom. If dead sticking fish right on the bottom with slack in your line. Was out last week and caught nine.

• Like 1

bin fishin lots

Ive been using a 3inch buzz bomb, variety of colours, and tipped with a full smelt. Suppose my recipe is off then eh?

Pound 4 Pound

Do you have a snowmachine or are you hiking it

Hiking it. I walk pretty far but I always see some guys way way out there, ive chatted with a few on their way out, one guy said he was fishing 108 feet and got four lakers one day. Pretty sure he had a yellow sled, his buddy walked out to where they were and i chatted a little with him as well. I usually fish 70-80 there. Still get some lakers, never more than 2 lakers in a day. I guess Im walking farther next time haha.

Brodie K.

bin fishin lots

Im on foot too. Dont mind the exercise lol. 8 inch gas auger gets a little heavy past st marys island tho. Gona try my luck tomorrow mornin if anyones interested. Ill try a further than my normal i guess!

• Like 1

Well, I walked out from Silver Harbour today. I started drilling holes in about 70 FOW. Marked one fish on bottom who stole my sucker off my gold/silver hammered Williams whitefish. I than packed up the sleigh after 15 min of no more action and headed deeper. Walked a fair ways and was still in 70 FOW. No fish, marked lots of smelt schools mid way down, and seen one herring under the ice. I was down 70 FOW and was rigged to large for it, so I let it be under it wandered off. Packed up the sleigh and walked further out, drilled a hole, and 90 FOW. I was 1 km from shore, well beyond Mary Island. Spent about 30 min without any action and than got a whitefish on the whitefish sucker setup, was very surprised it hit it, the sucker must of been 7 inches, hook just clipped the upper lip. Back down to bottom after throwing on a new sucker and than it all went dead for 15 min, smelt left, nothing. Than the weirdest thing ive seen on my flasher, a fish swam down about 30 feet to the bottom and hits my spoon and sucker. After a decent fight I had a decent 6 lb laker on the ice. I unhook, re-rig and drop it back down. Within 5 seconds of hitting bottom I got hooked up again, a smaller laker, but still a nice 5 lber. I moved again out to 110 FOW after no action for half hour. In 110 FOW I marked numerous schools of fish 45 feet down, I pulled them up with the spoon and looked down the hole to see about 50 herring. Never hooked any, and they took off. I fished for another hour or so, hooked up one more time but lost it half way up. All in all a good day, ended up walking about 1.5 km out, near the farthest shack. Was a decent walk and I was sweating my balls off but seems it was worth it. Most productive lure was the gold/silver Williams whitefish, the larger size, with a big sucked hooked through the lip. I also tried tubes in white, pearl and black, as well as airplane jigs(white) and some large swedish pimples. They preferred the slower fall of the whitefish as opposed to the swedish pimple. Tubes seemed to be almost too small. And the airplane jig took forever to get down 90 feet and keep under the flasher on the initial drop, I had a min or two of my jig not showing until it worked its way back underneath me. One of the more productive days I've had there this winter.

Brodie K.

Weekend coaster

Interesting to hear a whitefish could swallow a 7 inch sucker whole guess they must be very ravenous because when I fillet Lake Superior whitefish they always have a bunch of smelts in there stomach

It didn't swallow it whole, the sucker was hooked through the lips, the whitefish bit the red treble hook, maybe trying to take the sucker head first, the sucker and the spoon were hanging on either side of the fish.

They can get big, caught some big enough to eat a 7 inch sucker no problem.

TroutHunter

Whats the snow/slush conditions like at silver harbour?? I'll be walking out as well, would snowshoes be of benefit??

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

No slush at all, snowshoes could help, its a mix of packed snow, and drifts about mid shin in depth.

Pound 4 Pound

I'm glad you were able to get into some fish it seems the deeper you are the better off you are, are they driving out there now?

Weekend coaster

They can get big, caught some big enough to eat a 7 inch sucker no problem.

One time I was fishing in 25 feet of water and there was a pod of whitefish below me I was sight fishing and I saw one that had to be eight to ten pounds

Weekend coaster

Has anybody tried o'connor point