• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mnaiman

Keeping live bait

Guest mnaiman

I was wondering. If I have left over bait, say suckers, sticklebacks, or dace, and an extra fish tank kicking around, can I try and keep them alive for a few weeks until I can use them? I know there are regulations regarding keeping native or possibly sport fish in aquariums, and am curious if species used for bait apply to such rules. Thanks!

- mnaiman1

Guest MNR

It is illegal to transport live fish (other than baitfish) taken from Ontario waters or to transfer or stock any fish into Ontario’s waters without a permit. This includes dumping baitfish purchased at a baitfish shop into the lake when you’re done. Anglers are responsible to ensure that any baitfish in their possession are species of fish listed as baitfish. There is a complete list of baitfish species on page 10 of the 2013 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary.

Keeping baitfish in your aquarium until you go out fishing next time is permitted. A person can only have 12 dozen baitfish in their possession.