• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
levi64

Possession of a shotgun for protection

levi64

With the recent bear attack I was thinking about bringing a shotgun with me to remote lakes that i walk into and i would like to know the legalities. If its legal i would of course be carring slugs. I was informed by other persons not in authority to give the advise legally, that it is okay to carry a shotgun at anytime of year for personal protection in the bush as long as the barrel length is 18 and over and not cut down. Of course be in possession of a PAL. Also that the onus would be on myself to prove i was not hunting with it. Can you provide some clarity. Thank you.

Guest MNR

Black bears live in most forested areas of this province. Most people feel rewarded to catch a glimpse of a black bear or other wildlife when they travel in Ontario and direct conflict with that wildlife is very rare.

The incidence of injury caused by wildlife to individuals who live, work and play in remote areas is extremely low.

If you feel it is necessary to carry a firearm for protection, it must be sufficient to dispatch an animal quickly and humanely. A firearm suitable for dispatching a black bear is a high-powered rifle in at least a .270 calibre or a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with rifled slugs. Rim-fire .22 rifles and small bore shotguns are unsuitable for dispatching large animals. A recent research paper looking into the effectiveness of using firearms vs bear spray as a deterrent against bears reveals that the spray is far superior in stopping the bears’ activity and preventing injury. People who used firearms against bears, sustained injury in nearly 60 percent of the cases studied.

There is no general prohibition in provincial law against carrying a high-powered firearm in Ontario but in an area with an open hunting season you must carry a hunting licence valid for the open season species. You may not possess any firearm in most provincial parks except when and where hunting is permitted. You may never possess a firearm in a Crown Game Preserve. Federal legislation prohibits all but a few specially licenced individuals from carrying handguns of any sort. Your decision to shoot a bear in defence of life must be defendable. There have been several recent convictions in court where a person shot a bear and was unable to convince a conservation officer and Justice of the Peace that they or someone else were in immediate danger. If you walk around with a firearm outside of the hunting season, you will draw attention to yourself.

Section 109 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) states that possession of a firearm in an area usually inhabited by wildlife is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the person was hunting. Anyone carrying a firearm for any reason other than hunting is required to clearly show that they were not hunting.

Except in very specific circumstances, the FWCA also prohibits the carrying of loaded firearms in a vehicle, including motor boats, all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. All firearms must be encased from one-half hour after sunset through to one half-hour before sunrise.

There are also Federal laws that govern the possession, storage and carrying of firearms. According to the Firearms Officer of the Thunder Bay Police Services, a firearm in a tent must be treated the same way you would if you were at home. A tent does not afford enough security against theft and therefore if you leave the area you must either take the firearm with you or lock it in a vehicle and store it