• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tronnyd88

1998 evenrude 25hp troubleshoot

tronnyd88

i have a 25 evenrude and it sputters wen u go over half throtle. if anyone has any clue wat may be causing this to happen?

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Could be a plugged main jet, fuel pump , carb float , ignition, stator or just plugs?and many others.

Pump ball with cover off. If ball doesn't get hard it's pump or jet. Post result here

If ball primes good, I'd look at plugs or coil. New plugs check spark. If you get a nice big white spark that's good

Test with new plugs if it still sputters pump ball to see if that clears it. Be sure gas tank breather open.

Those are the cheap items

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Adrian

What year is it - does it have points and internal (under flywheel) or external coils. If it has points, they may be the issue. check gap (0.18 to 0.20). If it has points and internal coils, I would suspect cracked coils (very common on the older motors). Try plugs, but look the colour of them - coffee colour is good, black or white is not good, and leads one to look at fuel issues (black is rich and white is lean). Also look at the hose connections when you pump the bulb - any leaks at the motor end means the "O" ring is leaking and could be sucking air, look closly at the tank end connector and see if you see any marks at all on the "O" ring there. They are cheap, and fairly easy to change (take them out with a straightened fish hook)

Adrian

Sorry - didn't see the year - delete everything I said about points and internal coils, but carb and fuel hose issues remain on all motors.

tronnyd88

thank u for the posts. i will check all the things u posted on my next days off. i will post after i take a look.

tronnyd88

the coils are over heating. does that mean thats the problem

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

never heard of coi8s overheating? i have seen bad ones , not too sure if the run hot when they are bad but it makes sense.

did everything else check out?

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Squaretail

Check all the stuff Ryan posted earlier. Check for fuel starvation first when it acts up squeeze the primer ball does issue persist? Rule out fuel issue is the carb clean jets plugged etc. at the same time make sure compression is good and use a pyrometer to check engine temp while running is it getting hot. If all checks good may be ignition issue the stators and power pack are famous for failing. If all else fails bring it to a shop.

tronnyd88

thank you for the advice the motor is at my uncles in the country so i can only look when i get a chance to go out there. i will try all the things uve mentioned. since you gave a great reply to this problem. i also have a 4hp johnson not sure on the year its an older one. the problem with this motor is the idle/trolling. it runs perfect wen u first start it then wen i get to my fishing spot and go to troll or idle to get lines ready the mortor stalls out. the first thing i checked was the air vent on gas tank. that didnt work.i used the tank on a different motor and it worked fine. im gunna change spark plugs and bottom end oil but i dont see how those would affect the motor like that. any sugestions would be greatly appritiated. the 4hp is my last motor so im stuck on dry land till i get it going.