• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eddylives

water in lower leg oil issue

eddylives

We have an older 80's?? Johnson 25 HP motor. It has had water in the lower unit when changed each fall before storage. The unit has been rebuilt by twice now by experienced mechanics.....new seals etc. And the water issue remains......we are at a loss as to why this is happening? Does anyone have any idea why this is happening...bent shaft or?

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

naden

maybe a groove worn where the seal rides on the shaft

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

probably a small crack im thinking or bad thread/ seat on plugs. is it a lot of water

???

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

eddylives

The unit has been inspected for any types of "normal" issues that cause water in the leg (cracks,grooved shafts etc) and nothing has been detected. As for the amount of water.....starting with fresh oil in the spring (changed before winter storage) there is enough water to turn the oil milky and have water pour out before oil when changing. My father is so annoyed with this he is now threatening to pump the leg full of grease and run it till it fails and make a boat anchor out of it lol. I will have to try and apply a light air pressure to the lower unit while submerged in water to seek bubbles I guess....something I read on a boating forum

eddylives

I should note that this motor did take a severe hit on a rock pile years ago that destroyed the prop but the water issue started 10 yrs or so later??

Adrian

One seal that is often overlooked is the "O" ring that seals the shifter rod where it enters the lower unit. It is a little tricky to change, but very often ignored. If you have changed the seal under the water pump and the seal on the propeller shaft, change the shifter rod seal. You can remove it with a straightened fish hook. and you replace it by folding it in half with needle nose pliers (do not damage the "O" ring by squeezing it too hard), and pushing it into the seal cavity with a wooden dowel about 1/4 inch in dia. Be sure to clean all the carbon off the rod, and lubricate it with a water proof grease before putting it back through the seal.