• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steelheadmagnet

Gas coming out bottom end

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Got an old west bend Muskie motor 8hp, fired it up the day before driving 3 hours to a lake in the middle of the bush. Get to the lake and go to fire it up and what do you know.... Don't start and gas is leaking out the bottom end. Pulled on it to much and broke the recoil to. Could this just be a loose fuel line or something in the lower unit or does it found more like a seal or something? Thanks... Hoping its nothing to major as finding parts for this guy will be very hard I imagine

eddylives

I would check all the fuel lines.....I had a similar incident with a Johnson 2 hp when I took it off the boat and layed it down.....a loose fuel line was moved and gas went everywhere lol....on the bench seat of course grrrrr....what a stinky mess......All the fuel lines should be up in the top end area , nothing for fuel in the leg

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Ya I had dropped the motor and it fell on its side, all fuel lines that I can see are connected,

Looks as though there's gas leaking out of the carb as well I just don't get why there would be gas coming out of the bottom end

eddylives

Could it be that a float or needle in the carb is stuck open and allowing the fuel to run through the exhaust

naden

Most likely float bowl inlet needle is stuck or leaking, this will cause carb to fill with fuel and possibly fill the engine with fuel

Guest Steelheadmagnet

well i know that at one point the carb drain pin was stuck open but i thought i closed it, i will check again. otherwise i guess ill take the carb apart thanks

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Flipped the motor over and have it a couple shakes, fired up first pull. Recoil is still broken tho need a new spring. Not very confident in doing it myself does anyone recommend someone to do this work? Will b a small job

eddylives

There is a guy on 61B that used to fix old motors

I'm sure someone will give you contact info