• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FlyGal

Bringing Elk Euro mount and Pelt through US customs to Canada

FlyGal

Quick question : I hunted for Elk last fall and harvested a bull. Now, I have a finished Euro Mount and a finished pelt ready to be sent to Rydens in a big parcel (cheaper shipping to MN than to Canada) Both are coming from the taxidermy people. Do I need any special paper work for this? I am not bringing over any meat. Everything is a finished product / bleached / ect . Tags.

Proper info on how to do this is very much appreciated :)

Rebekka

Guest MNR

In an effort to prevent the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease into Ontario, the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act prohibits importation or possession of the whole or any part of the antlers, head, brain, eyes, tonsils, hide, hooves, lymph nodes, spleen, mammary glands, entrails, internal organs or spinal column of a cervid (moose, deer, elk) that has been killed outside Ontario. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.

This regulation does not apply to a person who imports or possesses

(a) finished taxidermy mounts;

(B) tanned skin;

© canine teeth with no tissue attached; or

(d) antlers or a skull cap with antlers attached, as long as there is no tissue or skin attached to them and they are separate from the skull. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who possesses a hide or the skin of the head if,

(a) it is kept in a container from which nothing can escape until it is processed by a tanner or taxidermist and all other tissue has been removed; and

(B) the person delivers the hide or skin of the head to a tanner or taxidermist for processing within five days of it coming into Ontario.

Since your hide is tanned and the head has been mounted, it would be allowed into the province. Keep your paperwork (taxidermy invoice, hunting licence) in case the animals origin ever comes into question. Best to contact the Canadian border (964-2093) to see if they have any concerns.