• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

broadheads

gsambray

Anyone have an opinion on a good broadhead for bears. I have never tried a mechanical broadhead with my bow. For some reason i was told by a bow shop that used to be in town to stay away from them cause they wont work well. I shoot an older martin onza with easton st epic n-fused carbon 500 7.3gpi. I need 100 grain. Draw weight is set at 60

Monks

You will get a million opinions on fixed head versus mechanicals. Biggest thing is shot placement, bad shot don't matter what your using. I have used both and Rage 2 blades are lethal on moose, deer and bear. Its what i use and what im comfortable shooting, never lost an animal. However you have try different broad heads for your individual bow and arrow setup. Montecs are a good fixed broad head, as are Muzzies and Thunderheads. Think I have some Muzzies and Montec 100s sitting around. As well i have some RamCat 100s which are amazing. i shoot 125 grain heads now so nobuse for them. PM mr price will be right. But you won't go wrong with Rage either. Good luck

gsambray

I had a set of shuttle t-lokt and loved them but cant seem to find them in town. Havent checked dnr for a bit so maybe them. I found with my bow they shot almost exactly the same as field points. Found that a set of cheaper rage fixed blade i had shot like crap.

brookiebuster

All I use are fixed blade heads. Don't trust mechanical heads plus I find fixed blades are more durable. I've shot montecs and muzzy 3 blades. I find the muzzy heads group better than the montecs plus they come sharp out of the pack unlike the montecs. I'll be trying slick trick magnums next. Heard from different people that they are great heads for durability/flight/sharpness. Plus the slick tricks are pretty cheap compared to other heads out there. I also shoot 125grain heads. My bow is 72lbs at 30". Shooting 440grain GoldTip prohunters at around 300-310fps out of my Hoyt vector turbo. From online charts I'm getting around 90-95 foot pounds of ke.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest taxidan

I use Slicktricks (4 blade 125 grain). I have them in both the regular and the Magnums. They shoot incredibly well and group like my field points. The 4 blades slice more on the way through as well. As Monks said you will get a million opinions on fixed vs mechanical broadheads. Mechanicals use to have the big advantage of field point accuracy but fixed broadhead designs now are now much shorter in length (not cutting diameter) which has increased their accuracy. As I said my Slicks shoot just like my field points. The biggest advantage of mechanicals (like RAGE) is the huge hole they make which equates to usually (depending on shot placement) a better blood trail. It can't be argued though that anything mechanical can fail and for this reason I always have and still use fixed blade broadheads. Not knocking mechs just more confident with fixed. Shot placement though is paramount to quick kills no matter what the chosen broadhead.