• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

FLY FISHING

flybum

It seems that many people here fly fish for brookies and steelhead. PERIOD. Anyone ever try targeting other species?

there should be a section for fly fishing where us "folk" can share patterns, spots, techniques etc...

(unless there is and i havent found it yet)

wondering if there are ANY other fly fishing enthusiasts out there!!!!???!?

-Bryan

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I do quite often. I'm am sure a few other members do as well. I am somewhat new to the sport but I have caught more walleye and bass than anything. The mouth of the current river is a nice fly fishing spot and I have not left without catching at least a fish on the fly each trip. Sometimes I catch a ton. One of the reasons I took up fly fishing was to target multiple species. It's hard to beat an aerial display from a 4 lb smally on the fly. Walleye are also more than happy to hit streamers.

Castnblast

hey, for sure alot of guys on this site fish fly gear.

BT & steelhead are great, but pike are super fun to fish on the fly. Post spawn, spring fish, in shallow warm water bays are a no brainer and alot of fun.

Bass are are real suckers for a surface fly too.

good luck!

TroutHunter

i am new to the sport as well and ATTEMPT fly fish for quite a few different species... brookies, steelhead, salmon, walleye, pike and smallmouth... all are a ton of fun to catch!!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

flybum

I'm not looking to start a club of purists, that's for damn sure! I just love the sport and it seems that TOO MANY people treat it like a "royalty" thing... I've met too many who think they're better than others and just put the nose in the air. I'm sure you guys have probably met them too!

If it swims, I want to target it on the fly! It's that simple...

It would just be nice to have a "section" on here that we can chat and share patterns etc.

Pike, walleye, bass, suckers, carp Etc etc etc

Castnblast

I hear ya on creating a section for fly guys but in a way - it's nice to have fly related topics posted to the general board.

It exposes the topic and joys of fly fishing etc to a more broad based angling audience - which can't be a bad thing for the sport.

JMO

• Like 1

Guest scavs

It seems that many people here fly fish for brookies and steelhead. PERIOD. Anyone ever try targeting other species?

there should be a section for fly fishing where us "folk" can share patterns, spots, techniques etc...

(unless there is and i havent found it yet)

wondering if there are ANY other fly fishing enthusiasts out there!!!!???!?

-Bryan

great idea Bryan, I am also nuts about the fly

Guest Beamer

Muskies are great but it took me quit a while to get my first, and am just getting good at getting walleyes and as Cast n Blast said Pike are fun

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_00582.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Guest Swan_Dive

My goal for the fly rod is to land a good size pike, I hooked into one last spring and it was awesome but I couldn't land it. Haven't had the chance to do bass yet either but I want to get out because I hear they are fun on the fly rod.

flybum

Bass are a Blast! I've only got some smaller pike so far, largest was 30" in the upper Kam. My goal for next year is a big ol' rubber liped carp! :-)

Guest Swan_Dive

yeah I heard the new hype about carp but I don't know, haven't had the desire to go after them.

Squaretail

Lake trout are a blast on the fly. Nice heavy clouser minnow when they start to move shallow soon. Also pike are fun anytime.

• Like 1

flybum

I moved here from WPG where you can get big rod busting carp and catfish on the fly, regularly .

Squaretail

I think it would be good to start up a fly fishing club again. I enjoyed the weekly tying at the university. It was a good spot to share stories and fly patterns and learn new techniques. My kids are getting to the age that I started in the club. I think the best thing I ever did as a kid was join, got me out of trouble and learned one of the greatest past times.

• Like 1

flybum

Lake trout are a blast on the fly. Nice heavy clouser minnow when they start to move shallow soon. Also pike are fun anytime.

For those who are boatless... Is there anywhere shallow enough to walk out? Or accessible by foot to bomb some of said clousers out?

Squaretail

I mainly fish lake nipigon but in my early years with no boat proved to be more successful shore fishing a fly. I find it easier to read the water from shore. One good spot would be the kam, above the fort for bass and walleye not big fish but can be plentiful. Nipigon river is great from shore. Pm me for a good lake trout spot on the river I'd rather not post on here. Even at Alexander there is great shore fishing for bows. Brookies. Salmon. Etc. and lakers. Bright big and heavy flys are great don't be afraid of color. Olive looks nice but for some reason a wounded cheesie proves way better.

Squaretail

Just keep in mind catch and release is what keeps this rivers alive. Especially the brook trout

Squaretail

I have caught carp in the neebing. But wasn't that entertaining to me. Was like a big log on the fly rod

brookiebuster

Bass are fun and are pretty easy to catch on the fly from shore. Crayfish patterns, larger woolly buggers, sculpin patterns, surface poppers and a few others I cant think of at the moment. Pike are fun as well. Early spring after they spawn you can spot them sun bathing in shallow bays. Cast a large pike pattern(minnow imitation in the 5-8" range) ahead of the fish or near cover and strip it in. They are a blast to catch. I use a 8wt for both bass, pike and even salmon. Pinks from the current river or Mackenzie are fun on the fly. Drift different egg patterns and nymphs where the fish are and usually they will strike. I have yet to target walleye on the fly but have seen people use minnow or leech imitating fly's with success. Using a sinking line or a sink tip will get your fly down to the eyes. In the spring when the suckers are spawning you can drift nymphs or egg patterns and have some fun. Its a good way to tweak your setup for steelhead. I've seen people use minnow patterns in the spring or fall for lakers. Usually you can get them from shore by river mouths or structure near shore. You can even get carp on the fly(lots of info online). Whitefish can also be caught with dry flies when they're surface feeding. That's about all I can think of right now, been a long day!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

SherpaJ

Fly fishing for pike is absolutely deadly! When the big girls won't eat anything, they'll eat a fly! The biggest northerns that I guided (along with my own personal best) this year where caught on BIG flies, including a 49"x20" pig. We will fly fish for them all year, even during cabbage season where we just use an intermediate line with a sinking tip and heavier flies to work the weedbeds a little deeper. A flies action makes inherently weedless (almost) and is perfect for fishing weeds, even string-grass.

• Like 1

kbrest

I am pretty much relatively new to fly fishing as well, so I had been primarily targeting river trout on dry and wet flies just to get my feet wet (no pun intended) and have had a lot of luck with that. But like FWF said, I have also caught a lot of bass and walleye in current which were a blast as well. And watched FWF land a fair sized small mouth while targeting trout. Now that I have gotten some experience and done pretty well I am hoping to target Pike or musky on the fly as well as I have heard its an awesome experience. Also, I am planning on hitting the pink salmon on the fly this year as well. I read a great article in Ontario Outdoors website about "The Other Trout" regarding fly fishing for bass, something else I want to try during the mayfly hatch next year.

I'd be down for a somewhat informal fly club. Basically we would just plan to get together to tie flies and we can plan a few trips to the river and help each other out. I'm always down for meeting fellow fly fishers. Only one I met so far is kbrest as we've had some good days on the river. We've shared info and talked about flies and I feel I have learned a lot. It's great to be able to share with other anglers, new or experienced.

flybum

I would be down, no membership necessary.

Come and go when you please as long as all are respectful to one another.

Good people and fly fishing... Can't beat it!

Guest scott324

I'd be up for it to. I just got a fly rod this summer and haven't had any real luck. I bought a fly tying kit too and would really like to work with some others to learn some new things. And it would help me meet some new people here as well. I'm new to the area and the type of fishing.

Most logical suggestion would be pink salmon locally within the next week or two. I'd say mckenzie river as the various spots on the current river don't allow many anglers in one spot, also, the cr will become an ugly zoo with snagging and overcrowding. The mckenzie gets a nice run and you have a TON more water to work with. It's also just a nicer river to be on with lots of casting room. This will be my first real season fishing pinks on the fly so am learning as I go.