• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

FLY FISHING

Heisenberg

Another newbie here. My oldest son (now 11) and I started fly fishing last year. So far I've caught specks, steelhead, pinks, bass, pike, cutthroats and browns. Musky and a "real" salmon are high on the "to-do" list. Looking at the amount of coin I'm spending on flies we REALLY need to start tying our own... So yes, I'd be in for some information exchange :fishing:

H

• Like 1

brookiebuster

YouTube is a great place to learn the art of fly tying. When I started a few years ago that's where I got a lot of great information. Lots of videos on basic and more intermediate patterns to get you started. But I agree that a fly fishing/fly tying club would be a great source of local patterns and techniques for beginners or veterans of the sport and place for fly fishers to discuss fly fishing!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I agree. You tube is great, tons of great vids on how to tie flies. I mean tons, type in prince nymph and you'll see more variations than you'll probably ever tie. I love messing around and when I tie a specific pattern I will tie a few different variations just to have fun, some work...and some don't. That's the fun of it, you can tie whatever the hell you want. Haha

brookiebuster

Its also rewarding when you tie up your own pattern and catch some fish on it. I've made up a couple patterns that I thought wouldn't work then they turn out to be killers. Some work then some just become tucked away never to be used again lol.

I have a box labeled "useless obnoxious flies" it's where my rejects go. When I'm low on hooks I will reuse those ones. I have tied some wacky flies. In the beginning I attempted all kinds of articulated flies and big crazy streamers that didn't turn out so well. My biggest problem in the beginning was I tied most of my patterns too big.

brookiebuster

I just have a big pile of rejects I keep on my tying bench. I also reuse hooks from them for my "good" flies. They also remind me of what not to tie. Most of the time the KISS rule is a good one to follow for tying flies.

TroutHunter

FWF, you can always use those big articulated patterns for pike... i just got into fly tying as well and have numerous "useless" flies too... its fun tossing the flies/lures at the bottom of your tackle box/fly box for pike... try it out sometime, you may be surprised!

Cheers

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Your right, I'm sure they would work for pike, my problem was the connection I used was too limp so it would tangle on itself. Also, Brookiebuster, ill bite, what's the kiss rule haha.

flybum

Keep It Simple Stupid-Kiss ... What I've found with tying is that Less is more. I've do e some elaborate "Cohen" style flies but that was for fun. I've also done some musky flies in the 15" range, once again, for fun.

But in all reality, the ones that are simple , usually work the best.

I look forward to this group and meeting many of you.

Haha. Good rule. I'm finding that as well. Every once in a while ya gotta go out on a limb and try and find that one amazing fly you can name and have known all over...a dream of mine is to invent a fly that in 20 years is as well knows as the hares ear or PT or the Adams. It will probably never happen but having goals just makes me try harder haha.

brookiebuster

Sometimes those big elaborate flies do catch them. I tied up a few big sculpin looking flies and caught some decent brookies. Also tying up jig flies is a good way to experiment. You can also sell them and get some decent coin.

I believe I am going to hit up the cr tomorrow and see if there are any pinks around. Most likely afternoon -evening. If no pinks than I guess I'll try for bass or walleye, maybe a pike. I haven't seen the effect that draining boulevard has had on the river yet, I'm hoping its not too bad.

Heisenberg

In support of this fly sub-forum / club / informational depository I have uploaded an avatar ...and drafted a charter:

1000347_10153179380380276_1219013634_n.jpg

:D H

PS - I'm looking for some cheap fly tying equipment (read "kid proof"!). Please let me know via PM if you are downsizing your inventory.

TroutHunter

I was out at the mouth of the CR today, one smallmouth on a beadhead hare's ear nymph... I battled the rain for as long as i could, then Tim Hortons was calling my name!! Fun to get out and kill some time. No sign of pinks yet... can't wait for the run to begin! I too would be interested in meeting up and talk fishing/tie flies.

Cheers

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

brookiebuster

Bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work lol. I'm thinking the pinks should be moving in possibly by this weekend after that rain, but knowing how the year has been going who knows. Going to try to get a few days in on the river at some point in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

flybum

There is now a fly and Spey fishing section on the message board/forum