• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

Flies and recipes

flybum

Figured I would start a section that you can post a picture of a productive or favourite fly that you have or use. And if you feel like sharing the recipe for it, I'm sure many people would appreciate it!

flybum

This little guy has done well for me, sz 4-8 depending on circumstances and what I find under the rocks. Little bit of a pain to tie, but rewarding in the end! :-)

post-1898-0-02857300-1378773048_thumb.jp

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Here are a few I have used successfully for steelhead as well as smallmouth and walleye. The scuds have caught lots of rainbows and perch. The green one with deer hair was one of my first sculpin imitations (doesn't imitate it very well haha) but after fishing it I have noticed the way the hair works in the water makes it look like a crayfish. I have more trout flies I will post tonight. The pink one you see is another good steelhead fly and used spun deer hair and rabbit strips. The last one has worked well for bass too.

post-374-0-84723200-1378773688_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-45757800-1378773752_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-73261500-1378773772_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-12431400-1378773839_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-53976100-1378773909_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-06988500-1378773984_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-61813400-1378774106_thumb.jpg

All of the flies above we're tied when I first started last fall. I am not at home now and these were the only ones I have on my phone.

Flybum

Is that imitating a stonefly? Looks like it would, or even a hellgrammite or dragon fly nymph. Looks very cool. I just started using biots more and more and getting them to lay in the correct spot can be a headache, definitely getting better though.

flybum

FWF- yeah man, that's for a stonefly. I've got some that are different colours as well. I've been twisting away at a decent hellgrammite pattern lately as well.

Have you ever used "sculpin helmets" ?

flybum

The sculpin helmet transforms the fly and adds some weight to get it down. Super easy to use as well!

post-1898-0-03679500-1378775241_thumb.jp

TroutHunter

i've never used the sculpin heads before... do you tie the body of the fly first, then slide the sculpin head over the eye of the hook, finish the head of the fly with thread to secure it in place??

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Here are some of the nymphs and egg patterns I plan to use this season for pinks.

post-374-0-20295600-1378777194_thumb.jpg

flybum

Yup, the head is completely hollow, and keeled so it will always ride "eyes up". Once I have the body done, I'll coat the inside of the head with super glue and the thread wraps as well. They eyes are a huge PAIN to put on, so once they're on, I give it a few coats of Sally Hansen's, and leave em dry.

flybum

FWF- Nice ties man! I can honestly say I would rather spin, stack and trim deer hair and tie streamers than Nymphs! I HATE tying nymphs! Lol... Wish the fish didn't like them so much! :-p

I agree. Streamers are way more fun to tie. Nymphs were my most recent endeavour, they become more fun as I go. I love spinning deer hair as well. I broke a lot of thread in the beginning it takes a few tries that's for sure. My favourite streamer to tie is the wooly bugger. It's also my favourite to fish, with a clouser being in second.

post-374-0-62258100-1378778055_thumb.jpg

flybum

Probably have to order is seeing as a certain place doesn't restock... But for spinning deer hair, you can't beat Veevus GSP 200denier... You'll break your hook or vise before the thread. :-)

flybum

My big ol' rat! Spun/stacked belly hair on a 5/0 partridge absolute predator hook.

post-1898-0-29474400-1378780324_thumb.jp

brookiebuster

Great stuff here! Here's some streamers/nymphs/eggs that I have had success with. Still have many more where that came from. I don't really tie dries, just a streamer/nymph guy. My two go to streamers for most species around here would be some sort of a sculpin in size 8-4 or woolly buggers from 10-4 in various colours.

post-1188-0-83193000-1378781160_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-47365000-1378781203_thumb.jp

post-1188-0-71849200-1378781259_thumb.jp

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Very nice flies guys. Lookin good. Sculpins are something I need to tie more of. I want to learn how to tie the wool head sculpins as well.

brookiebuster

They are easier to tie then deer hair sculpins IMO. Here's two local Nipigon river brookie patterns then a random one on top that I put together. Lots of videos on YouTube about wool head sculpins.(edit: pictures upside down, the orange fly or "wounded cheezie" and the brown/yellow or the "green butt monkey" are not my patterns. The other one is mine.)

post-1188-0-44490800-1378782638_thumb.jp

Those are some nice looking flies for sure, love te colours. I bet the fish do too.

Just a heads up. Tomorrow myself, fellow members Flybum and possibly Kbrest are planning to fish the cr. basically to check on the pink progress after the rain and if need be target walleye pike or bass. I plan to arrive between 1 and 2. If any of you other guys have some free time feel free to come by. Take care.

shmanks

I've got a fly rod need to get out to try for some pinks with it would feel better catching them on the fly than catching em with spoons....got to tie a new leader on and pick up some flies haven't tied or tried tying my own flys...i'd love to get in to it could be a winter project

Any tips on fly's i could pick up for fishing for the pinks? I will probably see you guys out at the CR one of these days as well

flybum

From my previous experiences... Pinks eat almost anything!!! Lol. I've got them in wolly buggers of every color and some zonker patterns. Anything with a minnow style profile. Deceivers, clousers, woolly buggers in white or black.

Fly tying is a labour of love, it's fun and frustrating at te same time. It's also VERY rewarding when you catch a fish on the fly YOU tied!

As for nymphs, prince nymphs, pheasant tails, hares ears, and egg flies are a good place to start than you can branch out into more types.

brookiebuster

For pinks I mostly use eggs and nymphs. Nymphs I use are stoneflies, hares ear and prince nymphs. Sometimes when the water is higher I use a tandem fly rig. First fly a weighted nymph then below that about 8" an egg..

Here's a fly I tied tonight, it is essentially a tube fly, most likely going to be used for swinging for steelhead. Purple marabou with a pink rabbit stip wrapped at the tip. I find tube flies never foul materials on the hook.

post-374-0-07535400-1379133958_thumb.jpg