• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest avis

Pinks

spindilla1

This may sound stupid to some but I really have no clue, does nipigon get a run of pinks?

Weekend coaster

I have heard before that the nipigon river does have a run of pinks

AmateurHourAngling

What is the limit for pinks and what is there slot size?

-JADEN

AmateurHourAngling

All I'll probably take is one for the whole year

-JADEN

Weekend coaster

The limit is 5 and I do not belive there is a slot size

brookiebuster

I heard that a few years ago a few chinooks ran up the macintyre. Very rare though.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Weekend coaster

What rivers do the chinooks and coho run up do they run up Mackenzie

Guest Smack Um

These are a few pics from last year. The one with the big speck surrounded by pinks is an all time fav. I can't take credit for these, photo credit will go to a good buddy , Nick Laferrier.

Nice pic.. I think Paul Peterson (Thunder Bay Fly Fishing Club) caught a Chinook of about 15 Lbs in the Neebing River by Peterson Machine Shop in the 1990's.

The Thunder Bay Fly Fishing Club is no more & I don't know if Paul ice races anymore?

I can see why the speck surrounded by pinks would be a favourite pic.. Thanks for sharing flybum!

Weekend coaster

Thanks

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

No prob dude. You'll see tons from the highway, if they are in there. I haven't been that way in a bit. Good luck.

Weekend coaster

If you guys don't mind me asking what time do they usually run by

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Me and my father used to take a trip down second week of September every year and they would be there. I'm sure someone may know, Flybum may have checked on his last trip that way, but I feel if it was full of chinooks he'd of mentioned it. Either way, anytime now if not already. Ill let you know if I hear anything.

Weekend coaster

Thanks if I hear anything also I will post

flybum

There wasn't ANY SALMON in the wolf... None visible and I didn't catch

spindilla1

I got a few a little further east at nipigon. No bruisers but I saw a guy loose a nice one, not quite sure if that fish actually chased that huge rapala he was using though. Again I got it on row bags, big stanky cheese row bag floating it with the CP. Not pinks though chinnok's.

McGinnis_Fishing

I was at the cr last couple nights and had a couple decent fish on, notsure if they were walleye or pinks though. But both were only on for about 5 seconds. Still trying to catch a pink. The kam river believe it or not gets a decent run of chinooks. And i actualy know a guy who was fishing mcvickers for stealies and looked down an there was a 12 pound chinook that he grabbed with his hands (only to take a fast picture and release it). Tht is a very rare occasion though!

spindilla1

If the Kam gets a run the neebing/mac flood ways must get a run too, but I don't know.

I would love to hear about some reasoning or what people's take is on this.

I can't seem to fully understand why some rivers up here get certain fish, this still amazes me.

Has anyone ever seen salmon up by the churchill weir?

brookiebuster

Most of the kam fish are the hatchery fish returning to spawn.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Mykiss

Spindilla....to answer your question....the majority of the Chinook salmon in Lake Superior are wild and prefer the larger river systems to reproduce successfully (local smaller streams ie. McIntyre / Neebing Rivers, may get the occasional stray Chinook but reproductive success appears to be minimal). The Kam R at one time had a significant Chinook spawning population which is all but gone possibly due to stocking hatchery fish on top of an existing wild population. (Note: the only large river in this area that does not have a significant population of Chinook is the one that is stocked....which should tell you something)

Coho salmon (introduced in the late 1960's from the Pacific north west),prefer small spring fed tributaries and are reproducing extremely well in most small cold water streams east of Nipigon.

Pinks salmon run most Lake Superior tributaries ....the wild population in the Steel River has been estimated to be over 50,000 adults...the odd year at one time had the strongest run but now both odd and even years may be strong (due to age three adults in Lake Superior)

Numbers of all three salmon species fluctuate from year to year according to natural environmental conditions.

• Like 2

spindilla1

Mykiss,

Thank you for shedding the light. This information is really useful to me as I haven't lived in thunder bay for very long, I'm sure with all the information people have provided to me on this board I will have an extremely successful fall fishing season. Last year I managed many kings but literally knew very little about rivers in NWO, what everyone has taught me on this board I am extremely grateful and I hope everyone has a great fall fishing season. This year I managed my first trophy brookie and first ever pink from superior that was identified by freshwaterfisherman.

Rivers where I come from are nothing like rivers up here, it took me years to read water down there and only one up here thanks to this board!

You guys are amazing, thank you once again!

• Like 1

Mykiss

Spindilla:

Join the North Shore Steelhead Association.......and get involved in their wonderful work activities. There is a meeting at the Valhalla Inn this Thurs. night @ 7 PM.....Great bunch of people.....See their Web Site.

Weekend coaster

Are more pinks going to show up at the current or is no more coming in I was planning to head down this weekend so I wanted to know if its worth it