• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Spectre

How's everyone doing for birds so far?

Spectre

I've been noticing a lot less bird sightings than last year so far. Anyone else seeing this too? I have been noticing when I am seeing birds they are in bunches. Saw 8 at once and got 5, semi-auto .410 comes in handy :smiley-sport037: Also have been seeing quite a few small ones this year, could be a 2nd hatch?

Foz

My dad and uncle went to camp 45 road on Saturday. They said they saw 8 but weren't able to get any. They said they flew away as soon as they spotted the hunters. I haven't heard anything about other areas yet. Where did you go?

MDR

Haven't seen any out towards Kamanistiqua yet. Then again it was rainy and miserable when I went so not much of anything was moving.

Freud

I think it might be a slow year...not seeing many birds or rabbits. Hearing lots of Coyotes too.

The_Outdoorsman

Went for a ride saturday morning and spotted one bird and one coyote.....tried again later that night and picked 2 from a group of 5.

Spectre

I'm hoping they are just tucked back in the bush and will start coming out/being more visible when the leaves fall...

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

nah been out scouting twice, normall years see 20 or so on that route ....nothing

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

brookiebuster

Nothing so far. Went to some areas I usually get them but seen nothing. Didn't see that much this summer either. Going to be a slow season for small game for me anyways.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

milspec

Went out last weekend, Saturday seen 4, got 1. Chased the other 3 pretty far, then they disappeared, still too much foliage. Sunday, rain from night before kinda ruined it I suppose, seen 3, plus 1 rabbit, only got one cause she walked right out into the open, but that was it. Other then that, everyone else I know of that went out only got a 1 or 2. Still to much foliage to see anything, but this frost should help out. It'll be a good season. Patience.

milspec

Next time ya'll go out, bring a buddy and get him to walk in about 20 ft and start flush them out. Might up your chances.

trouter365

I agree with the post above , there is so much foliage ,the bush is so thick right now.. was lucky to get 2 partridge up near Anders L. Those partridge are sure in high demand ..very low on the food chain , we also noticed many hawks flying along the road. Felt that I was racing hawks down the cutoff looking for a bird for the most part. ..lol

PRO V

Was out on the weekend seen some nice size groups of birds, had limits both days by 10:00. Sunday morning Watched a youn bull put the moves on a cow for about 10 minutes she didn't want anything to do with him gave him couple kicks, and sent him on his way. Partridge don't have two broods, this was a late spring, so they probably got a late start,this might be why you are seeing small birds.

Mike

milspec

Buddy said they got 11 yesterday back at the same place we were at on the weekend, the frost definitly pushed them out.

Hunter

seen a dozen today out quading old logging roads only got two and they are small

Zackcorbin1401

I seen 10 in a big group the first day and only got 1

Spectre

seen a dozen today out quading old logging roads only got two and they are small

Ya I think I am going to load up the quad on friday and try some less accessible roads to see if I can maybe flush some out...

RH.

we got ten when going up to sturge on the weekend, lots of groups and they werent very scared and none flew away quickly

gsambray

Got 1 this year so far. It was on the trail when i was walking out from bow hunting deer. Got it with the bow too. It was pure luck lol

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

im going out for moose sunday, for a week .

last year i had a limit with bow third day . its great being able to silently take birds, i even got some walmart aluminum arrows for the judo points as last year i broke an expensive gold tip hunter xt.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Iron Ranger

Here in northern MN it has been tough going. Partridge numbers are definitely down. I have picked up a few and I have been blessed to live 50 yards from good partridge cover. I have hunted every morning and evening. I have two Springers that know how to hunt (4 years old). So far a disappointing season. The season is long and when the leaves fall the flocks disperse it should get better. We are heading out to South Dakota in October to visit our son and his wife to see our new Granddaughter several times. The Pheasant numbers are down out there. All that means is it will take 3 hours to take our limit of three per day instead of one and a half hours. Our son has so many contacts (thru sales and friends) that we have unlimited private land to hunt. That's a good thing. Most farmers charge a trespass fee of $100.00 per day per hunter to hunt their land. Our son and his wife eat a lot of pheasants but, they always ask me to bring some partridge breasts to them. Pheasants are great eating, but they can be tough and stringy if you get an old one. Partridge are tender and tasty. I was lucky enough to get drawn for deer tags this year. I can shoot two deer (any sex) and have an option to shoot a buck in the late season. Our son and daughter have shot some monsters! I will try to enclose some pics. Gawd I love fall!!!!!

post-861-0-74254100-1379792144_thumb.jpg

post-861-0-30718700-1379792413_thumb.jpg

post-861-0-74846900-1379792596_thumb.jpg

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

MDR

Went out for bear up the Armstrong hwy. Took my limit of birds in 10 minutes yesterday morning, no bear for me yet but at least there are grouse around.

gsambray

Got a bunch yesterday up boreal rd. Didnt see any till mid afternoon. I was trying a different kind of .22 shell calles cb longs. I found my new favorite round. Its an old gun with a 24 inch barrel and single shot. All you hear when shooting these rounds is a click. Drove up on a group of birds and took my limit silently. They just sat there getting shot one after the other not even knowing what was going on. Almost too easy lol

brookiebuster

Got to love it when that happens.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

The_Outdoorsman

Slow weekend for me.... Saw 6 in total and got 3.. Also saw a lynx and a moose

robbo

Who's walking and who's driving? I'm a walker myself but I can definitely see the advantage to road miles travelled by wheel for quick limits. I mix it up with either my bolt-action .410, single shot 12, or my newset toy, side x side 12. I love bird season!

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!