• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

Fibreglass rods

flybum

I've recently taken a liking to fibreglass rods. Anyone ever tried one? I went as far as to get a custom one made. If you ever see someone on the water with a vibrant GREEN fly rod, stop, say hi, I'll let ya give it a shot! I absolutely love glass rods now. Here's a few pics of my rod. I also have an 8ft 5/6 wt starter if anyone is interested in trying one out for a bit, shoot me a PM and we will figure something out!

post-1898-0-17698600-1379700903_thumb.jp

post-1898-0-76400200-1379700933_thumb.jp

TroutHunter

Nice work! I've always been curious as to the differences in glass rods vs the new materials used today? Can you shed some light?

Cheers,

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

flybum

Adam,

the glass rods are VERY slow... There is one company out there who makes a "fast glass" but your getting in the price range of 400$ ish for just the blank. If you're getting into glass, or want to there are many options and like I said, I have a rod to lend out that is a ton of fun!

They load up a lot different then the graphite rods , but they DO NOT lack power. The green one you see in the pics above had NO problem tossing nigh weighted streamers and put the boots to some pike in the mid 30" range , no problem. It's a 5/6 wt...

The casting stroke needs to be slowed substantially, but wow, can they cast! Most glass rods are in the 8ft range, so they're a bit shorter and take some getting use to.

They are awesome for tight quarters casting if needed and are just an all around blast to fish with.

brookiebuster

Sweet rig!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

Thanks duck!

You hit it spot on with river bass, I had a blast a few weeks back!

The blank is made by Blue Halo , a lemke concepts reel seat, all silk wraps , snake brand guides, joe arguello agate for the stripping guide and this whole thing was all put together by a gentleman named Zeb from Snowman Custom Rod Works. Since you get the flex ALL the way through, I opted for a little bit if a fighting but on it to give the wrist a bit of a break.

flybum

I use a few different lines on my glass rods...

I have one reel overlined with a 7wff and another reel with 5wt royal wulff Ambush line. In areas with limited casting area, I use the Ambush line. It took some getting use to, but I like it a lot.

flybum

I try to work on that casting technique, but I'm not any good at it .

brookiebuster

Redington just released a new line of glass rods. They look good and are priced pretty good aswell. Might consider one for my next fly rod. http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/butter_stick/

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

flybum

Brookiebuster - that price has come down considerably! When they were first released, the butter stick was over 300$ it was inane! I do hear good things about them tho!

Echo has just released a glass rod as well, it's got more if a conservative look compared to the butter stick. Price is similar I believe.

If you just want to try a glass rod, the Eagle claw feather weight is an AWESOME rod for the price (50$ shipped to Canada ) they come in a higher wt if needed too. If you get the butter stick, post a pic and we'll have to get out for a day of some bass on glass!.. If anyone is curious about glass, I follow this blog ----->

/>http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.ca